Do I really need/want PS2 backwards compatibility? - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 46
Default Do I really need/want PS2 backwards compatibility?

I've been getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger on picking up a PS3, but have been holding off for a few reasons - watching the price drop, letting the game library grow, and, as a cinephile, hoping Blu-Ray will gain a larger marketshare.

Sony's pending introduction of a cheaper, non-backwards compatible PS3 is both tempting, and a little confusing, and I think I'm not alone in that regard. I have a substantial PS2 library, and as the ultimate short-attention-span gamer, a lot of those games haven't been played through. I can always keep my old PS2 (probably on a second non-HD set), but hoped that forum members could give their two cents on some questions I have on the issue.

-Will PS2 games run on a PS3 look the same, better, or worse than played on the PS2? I've heard mixed on this. Progressive scan games look pretty decent on my current set-up (42" Samsung 720p DLP) with the PS2. Would they look better? Or just the same.

-When the PS3 runs PS2 games, does it convert and output to 720p (or whatever desired res)? That's something I'd be interested in, since currently my set needs to upscale PS2 games, which introduces a brutal lag. Guitar Hero II would be unplayable if the game didn't have a lag adjustment option. My daughter stopped playing Amplitude and DDR when we switched to the HD television because the lag messed up her game so bad.

Something unrelated to gaming...Blu-Ray picture quality compared to HD cable programming..what sort of improvement can I expect? I'm often underwhelmed by the picture quality of the HD programming that Comcast offers. I've got an OPPO upconverting DVD player that does a great job (not as good as the best cable HD offerings, but good), but I'm still hoping to hear that the Blu-Ray player will be a substantial jump-up in quality than what I'm seeing now.

Thanks, MG
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-11-2007, 05:10 PM
illegalprelude's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,961
Default

I just read the title and not the rest lol butttttt. Sense ive gotten my PS3, I have no put in a single PS2 games. I just havent. Granted, I also have a PS2 in my room for when I wanna do that so for me, ive made the transition to PS3 and im not even looking at whats coming out for the PS2
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-11-2007, 06:44 PM
Godstar's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 23,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgardiner View Post
Sony's pending introduction of a cheaper, non-backwards compatible PS3 is both tempting, and a little confusing, and I think I'm not alone in that regard. I have a substantial PS2 library, and as the ultimate short-attention-span gamer, a lot of those games haven't been played through. I can always keep my old PS2 (probably on a second non-HD set), but hoped that forum members could give their two cents on some questions I have on the issue.
Same, I have like 30-40 PS2 games.


Quote:
-Will PS2 games run on a PS3 look the same, better, or worse than played on the PS2? I've heard mixed on this. Progressive scan games look pretty decent on my current set-up (42" Samsung 720p DLP) with the PS2. Would they look better? Or just the same.
They'd look better on a PS3, at least that's my opinion.


Quote:
-When the PS3 runs PS2 games, does it convert and output to 720p (or whatever desired res)? That's something I'd be interested in, since currently my set needs to upscale PS2 games, which introduces a brutal lag. Guitar Hero II would be unplayable if the game didn't have a lag adjustment option. My daughter stopped playing Amplitude and DDR when we switched to the HD television because the lag messed up her game so bad.
It converts it to whatever the max-resolution your device supports. So if you have a 1080p TV, then it will output it at 1080p. You have an option of smoothing and/or fullscreen/non-fullscreen. IMO non-fullscreen smoothing is the best looking option available for playing PS2 games.


Quote:
Something unrelated to gaming...Blu-Ray picture quality compared to HD cable programming..what sort of improvement can I expect? I'm often underwhelmed by the picture quality of the HD programming that Comcast offers. I've got an OPPO upconverting DVD player that does a great job (not as good as the best cable HD offerings, but good), but I'm still hoping to hear that the Blu-Ray player will be a substantial jump-up in quality than what I'm seeing now.

Thanks, MG
HD movies are by far much better than anything on cable TV. Many of the cable TV movies are limited to 720p...so aren't the best quality your system would be able to support.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,002
Default

Ive only played a few games on the ps3.. Im taking it back to get the warranty renewed and my 100 bucks back.. and to get the 5 free movies

The BC isn't important to me.. ps2 won't be getting many of the good games anymore.. not that they have been recently
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-11-2007, 09:24 PM
flinx1241's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 972
Default

BC is very important to me. I sold off my PS2 a while back in anticipation. The games look much better on my LCD than the PS2 ever did. Well worth it, IMO...

PS - I did go ahead and read your post...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-11-2007, 11:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,536
Default

Just buy a new P$2 when they drop to $100.00 BC is important but damn the P$2 is so cheap
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
HD movies are by far much better than anything on cable TV. Many of the cable TV movies are limited to 720p...so aren't the best quality your system would be able to support.
Well actually, my HDTV is a 720p DLP, but I'm not sure that means I'm missing bigtime on the Blu-Ray HD experience. From what I've heard, the biggest issues with cable HD programming is the compression they apply to maximize bandwidth. I'm not convinced I'd see a profound difference between 720 and 1080 with the display size (42") and viewing distance in my set up.

Thanks for the feedback everyone (except for you, IllegalPrelude, I haven't had a chance to read your contribution, but I'll try to make time ..

I'm leaning towards the BC-less PS3, and moving the PS2 to the other TV in the den. I can always use the money saved towards a few movies and other toys...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Godstar's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 23,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgardiner View Post
Well actually, my HDTV is a 720p DLP, but I'm not sure that means I'm missing bigtime on the Blu-Ray HD experience. From what I've heard, the biggest issues with cable HD programming is the compression they apply to maximize bandwidth. I'm not convinced I'd see a profound difference between 720 and 1080 with the display size (42") and viewing distance in my set up.
You might say that now, but there is an awful lot of cable movies that have artifacting due to compression. You'll notice it especially in movies that have alot of fast movemnent during scenes. You'll see blocky pixelation....and it's just a turnoff, especially on a large screen or on an HD system where you're expecting a better picture. It might not be as noticible on a 720p screen, but on a 1080p screen it's horrible.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-12-2007, 05:39 PM
Nicodimus22's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 923
Default

This is why I need/want BC on the PS3:

- PS1/PS2 games look better with upscaling/smoothing on, and with HDMI output.

-If you had games that supported 5.1 surround, but you only used the red/white PS2 cables, all you got was stereo. On the PS3 they'll have true 5.1 surround (via hdmi or optical cables.)

- Kiss your wired controllers goodbye. You won't miss them.

- Practically limitless memory card space on the hard drive. Just make a new card if you need more space.

- It's simply neater to have 1 system hooked up that can do everything than 2 or 3 systems hooked up.

- You can sell your PS2 unit and accessories and put the money towards the cost of PS3 or some games for it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-12-2007, 05:49 PM
Godstar's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 23,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 View Post
This is why I need/want BC on the PS3:

- PS1/PS2 games look better with upscaling/smoothing on, and with HDMI output.

-If you had games that supported 5.1 surround, but you only used the red/white PS2 cables, all you got was stereo. On the PS3 they'll have true 5.1 surround (via hdmi or optical cables.)

- Kiss your wired controllers goodbye. You won't miss them.

- Practically limitless memory card space on the hard drive. Just make a new card if you need more space.

- It's simply neater to have 1 system hooked up that can do everything than 2 or 3 systems hooked up.

- You can sell your PS2 unit and accessories and put the money towards the cost of PS3 or some games for it.
All very good points, plus I think there were some progressive scan games that probably look better uspcaled like Soul Caliber 2.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Teminator: Salvation sucks really, really, really, really, really, really bad!!! ATLFalconsFAN Film Forum 2 05-21-2009 03:24 AM
Why the PS3's lack of backwards compatibility is upsetting james Gaming Smackdown 80 10-10-2007 04:19 PM
PS3 80GB US backwards compatibility not so good, pretty bad actually james Gaming Smackdown 52 09-10-2007 03:57 PM
backwards compatibility question on ps3 ApBtFusion Blu-ray and Video Game Consoles 7 08-18-2007 09:17 AM
80BG PS3 To Have Limited Backwards Compatibility chad5871 Gaming Smackdown 15 07-10-2007 05:13 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off