Questions for loading videos into PS3 hard drive - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-05-2007, 07:13 PM

Default Questions for loading videos into PS3 hard drive

I record TV shows with a DVD recorder and I want to load it into my PS3. But the compression format the recorder uses does not seem to be compatable with the PS3. When I put the recorded DVD into my computer, it shows that it is a .VOB file.

Does anyone know if it is possible to put the recorded shows in the hard drive? I have a file format converter, but it takes too long to handle such large files. Does anyone know if there is any word on firmware updates that will make it compatable?
Old 10-05-2007, 10:24 PM

Handbrake will convert VOB files to PS3 compatible (has a PS3 profile in it), pretty efficiently.

I haven't seen anything about new media format compatibility.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberboy View Post
I record TV shows with a DVD recorder and I want to load it into my PS3. But the compression format the recorder uses does not seem to be compatable with the PS3. When I put the recorded DVD into my computer, it shows that it is a .VOB file.

Does anyone know if it is possible to put the recorded shows in the hard drive? I have a file format converter, but it takes too long to handle such large files. Does anyone know if there is any word on firmware updates that will make it compatable?
firmware will never add such things as ISO, VOB, or even Divx.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:37 AM

Didn't Sony make a press release about a new add on for the PS3 with dvr playback called ''play tv''??? I thought I read that somewhere in a mag. Might have been Game Informer but I am not sure.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
Didn't Sony make a press release about a new add on for the PS3 with dvr playback called ''play tv''??? I thought I read that somewhere in a mag. Might have been Game Informer but I am not sure.
I believe it was for the foreigners first, we should get it in the states 2008-2009 ish I read, or not at all.

Theyre too busy working on UT3.. oh wait

No theyre too busy working on Stranglehold.. oh wait

Mh.. busy doing [email protected]
Old 10-07-2007, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice2Dragon View Post
I believe it was for the foreigners first, we should get it in the states 2008-2009 ish I read, or not at all.

Theyre too busy working on UT3.. oh wait

No theyre too busy working on Stranglehold.. oh wait

Mh.. busy doing [email protected]
actually, the reason were not getting it is because the US infrastructure is very behind compared to other countries and so we have no means of receiving, unlike Europe and Japan.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:59 AM

if you can get your dvd recorder to write into MPEG or AVS you will be sweet, but I take it you cannot.

your next bet would be to get a PC connected up to it, (as a media centre) and have a program convert it into MPEG. Shouldn't take long, a full length movie will take around 15 minutes, then about 5 to copy over.

As illigalprelude said though, they won't add support to copy DVD movies directly

Alex
Old 10-07-2007, 01:50 PM

I am trying to use a program called Handbrake right now. But at the rate its going, it's going to take at least 9 hours to convert a .VOB file into a .mp4 with a H.264 codec, and it's only a 40 minute video recorded in high quality. My computer has 2 Gb of ram, and it's still slow. Is there anything faster?
Old 10-08-2007, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberboy View Post
I am trying to use a program called Handbrake right now. But at the rate its going, it's going to take at least 9 hours to convert a .VOB file into a .mp4 with a H.264 codec, and it's only a 40 minute video recorded in high quality. My computer has 2 Gb of ram, and it's still slow. Is there anything faster?
9 hours...sounds normal for a slower processor. I have a 5 year old Mac and it also has 2GB of ram and I do it in about 9 hours but thats a full 3hr movie. Newer ones will do it in about 3-4 hours
Old 10-08-2007, 12:44 AM

Is my computer slow? It is an iMac that I bought in late 2004. I think it has a 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5 processor, 2 Gb ram.

I recorded TV Shows so that a 42 min. video is about 1.5 Gigabytes.