Will the PS3 ever support DTS-HD MA? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-04-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Will the PS3 ever support DTS-HD MA?

I am just curious...a Samsung player just got the ability to bitstream DTS-HD MA via a firmware update. Wouldn't it make sense the PS3 should have the capability to do this? Does anyone know? I would really like to be able to take advantage of DTS-HD MA without buying a new Blu-ray player.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:06 PM

correct me if im wrong but i believe the answer is no because of the chipset in the PS of the 3
Old 10-04-2007, 05:36 PM

The PS3 is supposedly 1.3 compliant, however, given that there hasn't been any 1.) HD-MA receivers available 2.) HD-MA source material makes it hard to tell whether it really capable of HD-MA. Whether it's been enabled or not is another question, though supposedly it is capable of it. AVS forums would probably be able to provide you with more detailed information.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:18 PM

My recollection is that the PS3 uses an early 1.3 chipset that does not support bitstream for the advanced codecs. To be safe, I would assume that everything will be software decoded to PCM and sent via HDMI.

Now, my question - what is it about DTS-MA that makes it so difficult to decode? Is it just that the spec wasn't finished until recently (seems weird that Fox can encode discs for so many months if that was true), or the hardware chips weren't finished, or it takes a hell of a lot of processing power to decode.

Anybody got the skinny? Thanks.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
The PS3 is supposedly 1.3 compliant, however, given that there hasn't been any 1.) HD-MA receivers available 2.) HD-MA source material makes it hard to tell whether it really capable of HD-MA. Whether it's been enabled or not is another question, though supposedly it is capable of it. AVS forums would probably be able to provide you with more detailed information.
Well, I don't particularly care if it bitstreams it or not, I would just like to be able to take advantage of it...it's no skin off my teeth if the PS3 decodes it internally and outputs PCM to my receiver.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:44 PM

i did read on this site that dts is working with sony to release a firmware before christmas to let the ps3 decode it internally and send it pcm
Old 10-14-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkremer View Post
Well, I don't particularly care if it bitstreams it or not, I would just like to be able to take advantage of it...it's no skin off my teeth if the PS3 decodes it internally and outputs PCM to my receiver.
Problem is your not going to get the full benefit of DTS HD MA if its being internally decoded than sent out via PCM. To get the full benefit of this you need a player that can send it out in Bitstream format and have a reciever(like you Onkyo 605) decode it....We are just now seeing players that can do this with Dolby True HD(like thew Samsung) now where are the players that can do this with DTS MA?
Old 10-14-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz565 View Post
Problem is your not going to get the full benefit of DTS HD MA if its being internally decoded than sent out via PCM. To get the full benefit of this you need a player that can send it out in Bitstream format and have a reciever(like you Onkyo 605) decode it....We are just now seeing players that can do this with Dolby True HD(like thew Samsung) now where are the players that can do this with DTS MA?
So you're saying that if the player decodes it, it's no good, but if the receiver does it, then it's better? Nope, that's completely wrong. Here's how receivers work:

1) Receive coded bitstream
2) Decode bitstream to LPCM.
3) Apply DSP effects, such as bass management, to PCM.
4) Send PCM to DAC.
5) Amplify
6) Output to speakers

DSP chips cannot process encoded sound formats such as DTS and Dolby Digital, since the chip would have to be made to process multiple sound formats. That increases the chip complexity (and cost), so the DSPs just work with PCM, and a separate decoder handles the encoded streams.

When you have the player decode the audio, the receiver merely starts at step 3, so nothing is lost. The bitstream has to be decoded to PCM somewhere, and it's generally not going to make a difference where the actual decoding is done. Audio fidelity can be broken in the DACs, but since that's not happening when the player decodes to PCM, there's nothing to worry about.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
So you're saying that if the player decodes it, it's no good, but if the receiver does it, then it's better? Nope, that's completely wrong. Here's how receivers work:

1) Receive coded bitstream
2) Decode bitstream to LPCM.
3) Apply DSP effects, such as bass management, to PCM.
4) Send PCM to DAC.
5) Amplify
6) Output to speakers

DSP chips cannot process encoded sound formats such as DTS and Dolby Digital, since the chip would have to be made to process multiple sound formats. That increases the chip complexity (and cost), so the DSPs just work with PCM, and a separate decoder handles the encoded streams.

When you have the player decode the audio, the receiver merely starts at step 3, so nothing is lost. The bitstream has to be decoded to PCM somewhere, and it's generally not going to make a difference where the actual decoding is done. Audio fidelity can be broken in the DACs, but since that's not happening when the player decodes to PCM, there's nothing to worry about.
I guess my point wasn't really clear...The point I was trying to make was the PS3 is supposed to be HDMI 1.3..But in actuality it will not send out the new audio formats via bitstream(because of the early chipset it uses)...Now the question you brought up was wether or not it will sound any better, my guess is proably not anything noticable. But until they put out a player that will send it out over bitstream how can you really say for sure.....
Old 10-14-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz565 View Post
I guess my point wasn't really clear...The point I was trying to make was the PS3 is supposed to be HDMI 1.3..But in actuality it will not send out the new audio formats via bitstream(because of the early chipset it uses)...Now the question you brought up was wether or not it will sound any better, my guess is proably not anything noticable. But until they put out a player that will send it out over bitstream how can you really say for sure.....
After viewing the forums apparently the bdp 1400 supports DTS MA via bitstream......can some one confirm this.......