The PS3 and how hot it gets... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-02-2007, 09:17 AM

Default The PS3 and how hot it gets...

Hello all,

Just a quick question.... I just got my PS3 and was wondering if the unit gives off alot of heat when playing blu ray movies...? With the XBOX 360 you definitly get alot of heat from the machine when using it to play games... ( tho I dont think it gives off as much when using the HD attachment )

My main concern is that I will be using it in a wooden Tv stand and I dont want the thing to over heat on me when watching a full length movie.

Thanks for all the help.

-Craig
Old 10-02-2007, 09:19 AM

I never had any issues, but let me ask, how much room in the back, sides, and top to bottom in regards to clearances of the unit?
Old 10-02-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey0480 View Post
I never had any issues, but let me ask, how much room in the back, sides, and top to bottom in regards to clearances of the unit?
Not much clearance at all, I mean, its not gonna be just stuffed in there, but it has a back to it so ventilation from behind the unit is not gonna happen. I was thinking of drilling holes into the back of the tv stand so that air can travel... but i may just put the PS3 on top next to the TV itself. I dont know... suggestions?
Old 10-02-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maul View Post
Not much clearance at all, I mean, its not gonna be just stuffed in there, but it has a back to it so ventilation from behind the unit is not gonna happen. I was thinking of drilling holes into the back of the tv stand so that air can travel... but i may just put the PS3 on top next to the TV itself. I dont know... suggestions?
Best thing to do would be to read your owner's manual. They recommend a reasonable amount of space (I believe it's 3-6 inches on all sides), to allow your PS3 to be properly ventilated.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I have my 360 and my PS3 in a wooden enclosure. I typically have a desktop fan pointed at my systems to allow greater air flow. That might be a bit extreme, though.

Drilling holes might help, but I don't know how much.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:37 PM

yea, i wouldnt put your PS3 in a shoebox and not expect it to run hot but check out my setup under the Home Theater section and you will see how my PS3 is setup and I have no heat issues
Old 10-02-2007, 04:00 PM

I have mine in an enclosed box on two sides. The front and rear are open, but the PS3 isn't too painfully hot. It's definitely less loud and hot than my roommate's X360.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:54 AM

Well as the heat is blown out the left hand side of the unit (looking at it from the silver side, when it is sitting flat) I would suggest maybe drilling holes in the side of your cabinet, but maybe thats just me being pedantic.

Give it a little bit of room (the 3-6 inches suggested above for instance) should be more than enough, with just a small amount of ventilation. Then again, it does look much more sexillent sitting up next to the TV

Alex
Old 10-16-2007, 07:53 PM

Mine is crammed in pretty tight but I have fans sucking air through (click My Setup below for pics)... Without the fans it was generating a lot of heat, to the point where my TV cabinet was warping... I'm considering getting a more open cabinet with more glass and less wood...
Old 10-16-2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Hello all,

Just a quick question.... I just got my PS3 and was wondering if the unit gives off alot of heat when playing blu ray movies...? With the XBOX 360 you definitly get alot of heat from the machine when using it to play games... ( tho I dont think it gives off as much when using the HD attachment )

My main concern is that I will be using it in a wooden Tv stand and I dont want the thing to over heat on me when watching a full length movie.

Thanks for all the help.

-Craig
I tried it in an enclosed area (because of the loud fan noise) and the unit definitely will get hot and the fan will blow non-stop. The PS3 has to have plenty of air around it, so I would not put it in an (small) enclosed area.