Emotion engine? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-27-2007, 03:01 PM

Default Emotion engine?

I keep seeing things about this posted here every once in a while, what exactly is it?
Old 09-27-2007, 03:24 PM
HDD Contributor

The "Emotion Engine" is the somewhat hyperbolic name that Ken Kutaragi--creator of the Playstation consoles--gave to the system/graphics architecture of the Playstation 2. At the time, it was given the name because Kutaragi rationalized that the PS2 was sufficiently powerful enough that it could create graphics convincing enough to convey emotion, and provoke emotion in its audience.

So now when used in the current context, most people are talking about backwards compatibility of Playstation 2 games with the Playstation 3. The PS3 models that are the original 20GB and 60GB models both have Emotion Engine architecture built into the console. In other words, the older, more expensive PS3s actually kind'a, sort'a have a PS2 built into them for a very, VERY high degree of compatibility with older PS2 games, well over 95%, though I've heard as high as 98+%. The newer models, such as the 80GB PS3s now on sale, do NOT have this hardware built into their system, and rely on software emulation to do the job, for a more noticeable lack of compatibility.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
The "Emotion Engine" is the somewhat hyperbolic name that Ken Kutaragi--creator of the Playstation consoles--gave to the system/graphics architecture of the Playstation 2. At the time, it was given the name because Kutaragi rationalized that the PS2 was sufficiently powerful enough that it could create graphics convincing enough to convey emotion, and provoke emotion in its audience.

So now when used in the current context, most people are talking about backwards compatibility of Playstation 2 games with the Playstation 3. The PS3 models that are the original 20GB and 60GB models both have Emotion Engine architecture built into the console. In other words, the older, more expensive PS3s actually kind'a, sort'a have a PS2 built into them for a very, VERY high degree of compatibility with older PS2 games, well over 95%, though I've heard as high as 98+%. The newer models, such as the 80GB PS3s now on sale, do NOT have this hardware built into their system, and rely on software emulation to do the job, for a more noticeable lack of compatibility.
Which was one of the main reasons I got the 60GB system - thank god. At least there is some benefit to being an early adopter.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
Which was one of the main reasons I got the 60GB system - thank god. At least there is some benefit to being an early adopter.
yup yup. Hard drive was no issue as I can always up date and games I can always buy so we could a better deal this imho.

of course, I paid up the ass for my PS3 lmao but well wroth it so far
Old 09-29-2007, 03:03 AM

At the risk of sounding overly optimistic, but does anyone other than me see the possibility of the Emotion Engine returning to the PS3 in future models, as we get more into the life cycle?

I mean if cost come down enough on the PS3 to where reintroducing the EE would not be detrimental, why not bring it back?
Old 09-29-2007, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBM128 View Post
At the risk of sounding overly optimistic, but does anyone other than me see the possibility of the Emotion Engine returning to the PS3 in future models, as we get more into the life cycle?

I mean if cost come down enough on the PS3 to where reintroducing the EE would not be detrimental, why not bring it back?

Because you can still buy a actual PS2 for a relatively cheap price if you insist on playing PS2 games.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
The "Emotion Engine" is the somewhat hyperbolic name that Ken Kutaragi--creator of the Playstation consoles--gave to the system/graphics architecture of the Playstation 2.
More precisely, the PS2 originally had two major ICs: the "Emotion Engine" (basically the CPU) and the "Graphics Synthesizer" (basically the GPU i.e. graphics processor). Both have gone through a number of shrink steps until they ended up being integrated on the same die, into a single chip. This chip is found in current PS2 units and early PS3 units.

I think referring to the chip that had to ensure backward compatibility merely as the EE is ignoring the GS but that's what currently happens.