Standalone PS3, a good idea - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-25-2007, 12:44 PM

Default Standalone PS3, a good idea

We all know that the PS3 is one of the best Blu Ray players out there and has many cool functions, but am I the only one who thinks the PS3 is kinda on the ugly side. For many people the PS3 is one of the center pieces for the home theater and are very particular about how things look. Since Sony is marketing the PS3 as a Blu Ray player, why not make it look like one. I think think Sony would sell at ton of systms if they made it look like the BDP-S300 or something that would not look out of place in your equipment rack and market it towards HD ethusists who may be a very casual gamer.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:08 PM

I agree, I am honestly expecting a BD version (kidding really) that has a squared off enclosure, fluorescent display like a normal standalone and IR port. Actually, it really wouldn't be all that bad of an idea. One of the biggest gripes I have with the PS3 as a BD player is no IR, gah! Why on earth with all they put in this thing, card readers, USB ports, HDMI, BD, wirless, bluetooth, etc did they NOT put a simple lowly IR port? It's Sony, if they put an IR port, no one would buy their bluetooth remote, that's why I guess.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:32 PM

I haven't seen anything wrong with the way it looks...in fact I think it is more aestetically pleasing than any other console out there. It's definetly better looking than my DVR, or any other device I own. However, that doesn't mean that everyones opinions vary, as they always do with personal choices.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:23 PM

Agreed. It's a sexy beast of a machine. Now if only I had more games
Old 09-25-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Grayson View Post
Agreed. It's a sexy beast of a machine. Now if only I had more games
Go buy more games?

But like others said, its a matter of personal taste but I Love the way the machine works. Use it for games, use it for BD or just over all, use it for a nice entertainment machine but I personally love the way it looks.

Very modern and elegent. soft as a whisper, nice chrome finish. Slot loading player and such. so me, its a piece I love to showcase.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:23 PM

Count me among those who like the way it looks (though not so happy with its magical power to attract dust molecules...)
Old 09-30-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinx1241 View Post
Count me among those who like the way it looks (though not so happy with its magical power to attract dust molecules...)
I agree, the way it looks is awesome, they just had to make it a dust magnet. How much could it have cost Sony to like put some spray on it to repel dust?
Old 09-30-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
Go buy more games?

But like others said, its a matter of personal taste but I Love the way the machine works. Use it for games, use it for BD or just over all, use it for a nice entertainment machine but I personally love the way it looks.

Very modern and elegent. soft as a whisper, nice chrome finish. Slot loading player and such. so me, its a piece I love to showcase.
It is a quality made machine no doubt very reliable and smooth.........But lets be realistic it is hideous!
Old 10-01-2007, 01:33 AM

I think it looks sweet. But if you dont like the looks, PS3 having Blutooth can be put in a whole other room.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:34 PM

I think the ps3 looks okay. However, my friends think its ugly as sin.
As for it being a stand alone. Initially I thought this to be a good idea for just pure gamers. Who want to save money and don't watch films.
But, now i think this is a bad idea. I don't own even one game on the PS3.
Without the blu-ray for films it would be a giant paper weight.
I really hope it picks up.(yes i own an X-box 360 as well and no i don't hate Sony)