Am I The Only One Surprised By Skate? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-24-2007, 12:33 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Am I The Only One Surprised By Skate?

I have to admit, I didn't see this one coming. I hadn't seriously played a Tony Hawk game in years after Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2. THPS 3 was kind of more of the same, and each subsequent game just seemed less and less impressive. Trying the demo for the new Tony Hawk Proving Ground game still felt like a much shinier version of the franchise.

But I downloaded Skate for the hell of it--thinking that this being an EA game, I was going to laugh it off in minutes, much like the Harry Potter demo--and after trying it, I was immediately seized by just how much I loved the controls. They're reminiscent in a bizarre way of Guitar Hero, in that it has fairly basic, easy to understand mechanic that you can pull elementary tricks with, but to really get the most out of the game will require a lot of practice and dedication. The demo was timed for 30 minutes and even that felt mercilessly brief. I had so much fun with it that I'm going to go out and pick up a copy of this.

I'm really surprised. This game was totally off my radar, having been prematurely judged as an incompetent EA Tony Hawk rip-off and it ended up providing some fresh, challenging gameplay. If the full game holds up as well as the demo did, then I can see a lot of hours spent grinding rails in San Vanelona.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:58 PM

Funny, I did it the other way around. I didnt download the Skate demo and downloaded the Tony Hawk one (still havent played it, downloaded it for the sake of downloading)

But is it fun? I havent played a Tony Hawk game sense PS1 hahah or let alone skate game
Old 09-24-2007, 05:02 PM

Im addicted to Skate. Such a wicked game and the controls are dead on...well sometimes Manuel to Fliptrick to Manuel can get a bit annoying, but yeah glad it stood its ground...and the Skate Companys and actual Skaters help give this game a more realistic feel.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Pixel View Post
Im addicted to Skate. Such a wicked game and the controls are dead on...well sometimes Manuel to Fliptrick to Manuel can get a bit annoying, but yeah glad it stood its ground...and the Skate Companys and actual Skaters help give this game a more realistic feel.
helll yes. Another VHS Supporter

The Empire Grows
Old 09-24-2007, 08:49 PM

I am not into the Tony Hawk games and am long out of the skateboard sub culture...but this game was surprising! I played it for about 20 min (longer than I give most demos) and was recommending it all night. Nice easy controls with a great tutorial. It's only downfall I can see right now is releasing against the Halo effect...
Old 09-24-2007, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
I have to admit, I didn't see this one coming. I hadn't seriously played a Tony Hawk game in years after Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2. THPS 3 was kind of more of the same, and each subsequent game just seemed less and less impressive. Trying the demo for the new Tony Hawk Proving Ground game still felt like a much shinier version of the franchise.

But I downloaded Skate for the hell of it--thinking that this being an EA game, I was going to laugh it off in minutes, much like the Harry Potter demo--and after trying it, I was immediately seized by just how much I loved the controls. They're reminiscent in a bizarre way of Guitar Hero, in that it has fairly basic, easy to understand mechanic that you can pull elementary tricks with, but to really get the most out of the game will require a lot of practice and dedication. The demo was timed for 30 minutes and even that felt mercilessly brief. I had so much fun with it that I'm going to go out and pick up a copy of this.

I'm really surprised. This game was totally off my radar, having been prematurely judged as an incompetent EA Tony Hawk rip-off and it ended up providing some fresh, challenging gameplay. If the full game holds up as well as the demo did, then I can see a lot of hours spent grinding rails in San Vanelona.
Same here...haven't cared for Tony Hawk since 2 or 3. Downloaded Skate to check it out and it was fun, but I just don't know how long it can hold my attention. I may pick this one up, but it's still not near the top of my list.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:04 AM

The Skate demo surprised me also. I haven't played a skater game in years, but this one was fun.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:28 PM

i've been hooked on it for the past week! i"ve always enjoyed the tony hawk games but had slowly been burning out on them.I downloaded the hawk demo just for fun and played it for all of about five minutes and deleted it.hopefully people will think if skate as more than just a tony hawk rip off and start buying it.Tons of my friends who have never even touched a skateboard in their life can't put the game down.