PS3 Connectivity Questions From A Self-Admitted Idiot - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-18-2007, 08:12 PM
HDD Contributor

Default PS3 Connectivity Questions From A Self-Admitted Idiot

Hey, fellow PS3 owners, I have a tech-help question. Since I've gotten my PS3 and hooked it up, I've noticed some rather bizarre behavior coming out of it with regards to internet connectivity. To be frank, I'm totally baffled when it comes to more technical aspects of how this stuff works, so it's likely that I've simply messed up somewhere and haven't configured some doohickey properly so that it communicates nice-nice with a thingamabob protocol (this is the depth of my technological expertise).

First, the set up. The PS3 is a 60GB model that has a wired ethernet connection running through to a router. There are two additional computers that are also wired to this same router.

The symptoms I've had going since day 1, are that when the system starts up, it usually signs in, and everything is fine for a few minutes. But inevitably, what will happen is a) the other computers in the house will briefly disconnect from the internet and stay this way or b) they will reconnect and will boot out the PS3 from its internet connection.

On some days, particularly during Thursdays when new store updates are online, the connection gets particularly wonky, with me attempting to download new content from the store, resulting in downloads that take forever (although I think this is simply a matter of increased traffic) or stall entirely, or, more curiously, the connection simply craps out entirely for ALL computers in the house, requiring a complete reset of the modem and router.

I know that I'm probably missing a few critical details to start the technical advice going, so if any kindhearted soul is willing to help and requires a few answers to certain questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best. I haven't yet started playing online, but with Home in the not too distant horizon, as well as other multi-player titles (and probably Warhawk at some point) I'd hate to have to deal with these kind of connection problems when I start relying on connection stability a lot more.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:09 PM

Honestly I get that alot too. The only thing is that mine is Wireless. I would usually be using mlb.tv on 2 other laptops and it will kick my wireless and wired offline as well. It's starting to tick me off as well. Even when a big dl comes to the ps store and I hook it into my Monitor and I hook it wired into my Router it does the same thing. I have no idea either it's strange. After I hook the other 2 laptops into the router again the PS3 disconnects as well!!
Mischa.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:05 AM

I have heard of these connection issues for the PS3 as well, both wired and wireless. I want to go online with my PS3 but...these connection issues are holding me back.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:12 PM

Some questions...

Will the PS3 stay connected if you unplug the other computers from the router? Also, do you have a regular DSL modem or a DSL modem with a built in router? The cable that runs from your DSL modem to your router, is it plugged into the WAN port (the port not grouped with the other 4 assuming you have a router with a 4 port switch) or is it plugged into one of the 4 switch ports?
Old 09-19-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Hey, fellow PS3 owners, I have a tech-help question. Since I've gotten my PS3 and hooked it up, I've noticed some rather bizarre behavior coming out of it with regards to internet connectivity. To be frank, I'm totally baffled when it comes to more technical aspects of how this stuff works, so it's likely that I've simply messed up somewhere and haven't configured some doohickey properly so that it communicates nice-nice with a thingamabob protocol (this is the depth of my technological expertise).

First, the set up. The PS3 is a 60GB model that has a wired ethernet connection running through to a router. There are two additional computers that are also wired to this same router.

The symptoms I've had going since day 1, are that when the system starts up, it usually signs in, and everything is fine for a few minutes. But inevitably, what will happen is a) the other computers in the house will briefly disconnect from the internet and stay this way or b) they will reconnect and will boot out the PS3 from its internet connection.

On some days, particularly during Thursdays when new store updates are online, the connection gets particularly wonky, with me attempting to download new content from the store, resulting in downloads that take forever (although I think this is simply a matter of increased traffic) or stall entirely, or, more curiously, the connection simply craps out entirely for ALL computers in the house, requiring a complete reset of the modem and router.

I know that I'm probably missing a few critical details to start the technical advice going, so if any kindhearted soul is willing to help and requires a few answers to certain questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best. I haven't yet started playing online, but with Home in the not too distant horizon, as well as other multi-player titles (and probably Warhawk at some point) I'd hate to have to deal with these kind of connection problems when I start relying on connection stability a lot more.
Make sure you have your router configured as such here:

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/show...p?t=394&page=3

The port forwarding should help issues you are having, though it shouldn't require you to forward 443 or 80, since those are usually by default always open. Other than that, those are the ports most the Sony software uses, so once that's done you shouldn't have as many issues with disconnects. Make sure to turn off your SSID broadcast on your router, and that should be it.
Also, I would not use automatic IP address assigning, and just straight assign your IP address to your PS3/PC's and hard code the DHCP server to your router address, usually 192.168.0.1. The Subnet mask should be 225.225.0.0 on your PS3. Turn on UnPL (can't remember what it's called exactly) and set proxy server to no. Let me know if you have any questions.