rented lair today - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-07-2007, 05:13 PM

Default rented lair today

I have been playing it

It's definitely not a good game.

1) The game is way too dark, I can barely see. I had to adjust the brightness and contrast just to see and it's still naturally really dark.

2) Severe tearing issues as well as blur issues. Ok I have a LCD and naturally most games blur a bit, however this game is horrible with the blur. The framerate is also bad.

Also, the graphics were supposed to be amazing, it is not. When you look down for example from the air to the ground and you see all those troops, it looks horrible, they looked blurred beyond belief

3) Lastly, the controls. In the first 2 levels it felt ok, however as you keep playing you really get to feel the lack of control on your dragon. When you are flying around the controls usually work fine, however they are not very accurate.

Say you want to target a dragon it can be a bit frustrating to target it exactly or if you are targeting a ground target, it is even worse.

It's not very precise, feels way too floaty. Also, many times my tilts did not register and the dragon oversteers way too much, back to my point lack of precision.

all in all, I'd agree with the reviews. this game is a disappointment.

I was prepared for the worst, however I'm even more disappointed, because the graphics at least were supposed to be great, imo it is not. Way too much blur, way too dark, too much tearing and it looks grainy.

Another point to mention is I have a hard time discerning other targets particulary other dragons due to the lack of clarity and darkness as well as the tearing.

It's a decent rental I suppose, but I hope from now on they implement analog controls for all games
Old 09-07-2007, 05:29 PM

The game runs with a blur filter continuously, so you should expect it to blur. I haven't notice tearing, although the framerate does drop to a slideshow in the right circumstances.

If things are too dark turn off RGB full range.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:31 PM

did you buy it or rent it?

If so how far are you in and how many levels are there?

I mean ill play it and get some enjoyment out of it, but I can't say I'm not disappointed.

the graphics are really not that great... and it was supposed to be amazing and it isn't

the controls work, but like I said it's not precise and I can see why the reviewers would say they are extremely frustrating

About the blur, if it's supposed to blur fine, but it still blurs ALOT where it gives me a slight tension between my eyes

As for the tearing, I've definitely seen it alot. Although I will say I'm very sensitive to tearing
Old 09-07-2007, 05:42 PM

hhhmmm...Im still set on buying this game but not for sometime as ive stopped by games (last game was Warhawk lmao and now some updates for MotorStorm) but I wanna just beat a few games and then buy more
Old 09-07-2007, 05:51 PM

illegalprelude, I highly recommend you DO NOT BUY this game

the controls can trick you, in really big open areas you'll feel the controls are ok. but anytime you have to do anything very precise, this is where the problems start.

there is no precision.

If you are curious as I was, renting will do.

I mean if you wanna buy it, thats obviously your choice, but seriously I'd rather spend that 60 dollars on something better

matter of fact, play more warhawk =] warhawk >>>>>> lair
Old 09-07-2007, 05:58 PM
HDD Contributor

I think this is just another unfortunate case of what can happen when the game is too hyped, by the developers, publishers, press and gamers. I too remember seeing the screen shots for the game, the videos, all that stuff, and the way Factor 5 and Sony hyped this game, they made it out so it was just shy of curing cancer, which the press picked up and ran away with, and transferred to the gamers. When the game came out, it not only didn't live up to the hype but fell far short of even what a good or very good game could be.

On the other hand, there have been less hyped games like Warhawk and even, to some extent, Bioshock, that have no received the "This game will change gaming forever" treatment from all quarters, and that means the game ends up pleasantly surprising a lot of people, simply because there weren't high--or even ANY--expectations to begin with.

I don't think there's any cure for this. Some games ie, Halo, MGS, FF series, will be hyped to hell and back. Others, like the Katamari series, for example, will come out of nowhere and catch a lot of people off guard. In the end the final arbiter should be the final reviews from the press and the testimonials of other gamers. Hype tends to do far more harm than good most of the time.

Although now, admittedly, if I were ever to run across Lair in a used game bin for a reasonable price, I'd probably pick up to just to see how bad it gets. Curiosity can sometimes be just as effective a marketing tool as enthusiasm.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
I think this is just another unfortunate case of what can happen when the game is too hyped, by the developers, publishers, press and gamers. I too remember seeing the screen shots for the game, the videos, all that stuff, and the way Factor 5 and Sony hyped this game, they made it out so it was just shy of curing cancer, which the press picked up and ran away with, and transferred to the gamers. When the game came out, it not only didn't live up to the hype but fell far short of even what a good or very good game could be.

On the other hand, there have been less hyped games like Warhawk and even, to some extent, Bioshock, that have no received the "This game will change gaming forever" treatment from all quarters, and that means the game ends up pleasantly surprising a lot of people, simply because there weren't high--or even ANY--expectations to begin with.

I don't think there's any cure for this. Some games ie, Halo, MGS, FF series, will be hyped to hell and back. Others, like the Katamari series, for example, will come out of nowhere and catch a lot of people off guard. In the end the final arbiter should be the final reviews from the press and the testimonials of other gamers. Hype tends to do far more harm than good most of the time.

Although now, admittedly, if I were ever to run across Lair in a used game bin for a reasonable price, I'd probably pick up to just to see how bad it gets. Curiosity can sometimes be just as effective a marketing tool as enthusiasm.
Yea thats what I love about warhawk, I bought it with mild expectations

It turned out to be way better than I even anticipated. couldn't be happier with the game

Lair on the otherhand, even with all the terrible reviews, I thought mb they were being a bit too harsh. I don't think so anymore

too bad, with analog controls and polishing up in terms of technical stuff like framerates etc, this could have been a good game
Old 09-07-2007, 06:20 PM

If you have any PS2 controllers laying around and a USB adapter for them you can recover analog controls. There are 14 levels total. You're right that it isn't a great game, or even a good game, but it isn't really bad. 6.5/10 seems more like it, because I've played higher rated games that aren't as fun or run terribly or aren't nearly finished at all (i.e. Madden 07 last year, something like an 8.8 on IGN but ran terribly and was absolutely no fun at all).
Old 09-12-2007, 09:23 PM

I agree as well I'm glad I rented it. I was so excited for this game then I saw all of the reviews. So since it got bad reviews I switched my pre order to Heavenly Sword which I pick up tomorrow. I switched it since I had played the demo and there was no demo for Lair. I was like oh I'll just rent Lair to play it.

I also agree about the controls. I would have rather used the knobs on the controller to control the dragon instead of the sixaxis.

I was also more blown away by the graphics of Heavenly Sword as well the graphics are much better on that one!!

That's my take!!
Mischa.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Banned

I hated lair. Warhawk is so much better. I will be getting Heavenly sword though on friday. Pumped about that. Or tomorrow. Whatever day it comes out.