Blu-Ray Movies Kinda Grainy at times on PS3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-03-2007, 07:58 AM

Default Blu-Ray Movies Kinda Grainy at times on PS3

I know I'm no critic like the ones here on this page but I'm gonna ask.... Why do sometimes I see the picture is grainy like it's covered in sandy colors. It makes the exact picture but like it's made out of sand sometimes. Hard to explain really. I'm talkin about when I play movies on my PS3. Could it be the blu-ray laser is THAT sensitive to dust? If so, what do I do to correct it? I mean does anyone have the credentials to answer my question surely and honestly? Please help me with this. Thanks!
Old 09-03-2007, 09:00 AM

What movies are they, some are shot that way on purpose, like 300. I haven't had any problems with mine, although some movies have clearer pictures than others. Kingdom of Heaven has an absolute gorgeous picture with no grain whatsoever, try that one if you get the opportunity and see how it does.

Also, what kind of tv is it hooked up to? I noticed a big difference as far as the grainy picture goes when i replaced my 720p/1080i tv with one that does 1080p and 24fps.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznNintendoFan1 View Post
I know I'm no critic like the ones here on this page but I'm gonna ask.... Why do sometimes I see the picture is grainy like it's covered in sandy colors. It makes the exact picture but like it's made out of sand sometimes. Hard to explain really. I'm talkin about when I play movies on my PS3. Could it be the blu-ray laser is THAT sensitive to dust? If so, what do I do to correct it? I mean does anyone have the credentials to answer my question surely and honestly? Please help me with this. Thanks!
I would more say do you have the credentials to actually ask a question because your ranting and not asking any questions.

what movies are you talking about because more then likely, the movie looks just like that. What you must realize, just because its in HD, it dosent mean it wont have grain. Sometimes bad transfer, sometimes they intent of the director, there are many reasons.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:10 PM
HDD Contributor

illegalprelude is correct in that the quality of a film transfer itself will determine the fidelity of the image, not necessarily the technical capabilities of your player.

One of the big "problems" of high definition is that if you're watching a film that was never intended or "optimized" for HD viewing, the higher resolution of an HD television can actually MAGNIFY the inherent visual problems of a film and make them that much more apparent compared to watching it on a normal television.

You didn't notice it so much on an SD TV because the lower resolutions--and, lest we forget, the analog nature--of an SD TV tend to mask the imperfections of an image since SD television tends to present a much "softer" image. But take that same program (or DVD, particularly if your player doesn't have any upscaling capability) and put it on a large HDTV, and suddenly artifacts, as they're called, are far more visible. You may notice colors aren't in smooth gradients anymore, but instead appear as distinct "bands" of color. You may notice that some images can even look pixellated. And of course, the grain that is traditional with movies shot on film is much, much more noticeable unless the crew overseeing the transfer to a digital format carefully oversees this.

Unfortunately, there's no real solution to this except to simply avoid movies with poor digital transfers if picture quality is a major concern. There's no concrete rule for this, as some very old movies, such as the HD-DVD version of Casablanca have had great transfers and it looks beautiful for a B&W movie made in 1942. On the other hand, you have the first transfer of the 5th Element for Blu-Ray which had a very unsatisfactory transfer, despite the fact that movie was far more recent.

Your best bet for movies that really show off what an HDTV can do without the graininess are, unsurprisingly, computer generated features. Since movies such as Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, or the upcoming Ratatouille never had any analog sources to begin with, a straight digital-to-digital transfer ensures that the image looks the best it possibly can on a digital format. More recent movies that have been shot on high def also benefit from this pure digital transfer, although, as some have said, 300 had film grain deliberately added to the movie as an aesthetic choice because the the creators wanted the the movie to look more "filmic" and grain is a part of that.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:50 AM

Well final fantasy to me was a little grainy and the color was kinda washed up as well, except for the opening scene. However, tmnt was spectacular. i highly recommend tmnt to show off what blu-ray or hd-dvd's can do.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:17 PM

i have noticed that typically BD's look more like they did in the theatre and hd dvd's look more pristine, processed. I prefer the hd dvd look.

Illegal Prelude, you do not have to be a dick to the OP, he was just expressing himself.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznNintendoFan1 View Post
That sounds like the effect you get from all the RP screens. In white or very bright scenes it is very noticeable on just about all RP sets. Some sets have a less noticeable effect but i see it on every RP set at the store.