blu ray player vs playstation 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-02-2007, 08:00 PM

Cool blu ray player vs playstation 3

I'm looking to get a blu ray player. As far as video games go I don't play alot of them, but I do enjoy the sporting games.
I do know that the playstation 3 is cheaper (a plus I would say).
But when I ask the people at bestbuy, circuit city, even sony about how well of a blu ray player (movies) it is, they just give me the systems specs. What are the major differences in the performance of the 20 and 60GB(other than one has more memory). Do the play DVD-R (home made movies)? What about this overheating issue. As far as the the hard drive, I'm not looking to store any pitcures or music on it.
Any suggests, a blu ray player or the PS3.
Thanks for any input.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:48 PM

A. between the 20GB, 60GB and 80GB unit, there is no difference in terms of BD playback. Its using the same processor, same drive.

B. Yes they do play DVD-R

C. OVerheating, your talking about the 360 right? PS3 in the quality department is top notch.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:13 PM

PS3 is an excellent blu ray player.The thing boots up fast,loads fast and the picture quality is awesome.
The firmware is easily updated by downloading from the internet .
The bluetooth remote is the best performing one i've seen as well.
I haven't bought any other players of course as i see no need to as yet.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:54 PM

The PS3 is a great choice for a Blu-ray player. As previously mentioned it boots up quickly and the picture quality is great. Also, it is one of the few players out that has an ethernet port to allow for upgrades (FYI: this is standard on HD-DVD players). I've also read they are working on a patch that will allow for better upconverting on standard DVD's.

I would grab a 60 gig now while they are still on shelves and on sale as once they are gone you're stuck with tthe 80gig model which won't make any difference in movie playback capabilities.

Also as I am format nuetral, Toshiba has some great deals on their HD-DVD models as well.

Good luck and welcome.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASH View Post
The PS3 is a great choice for a Blu-ray player. As previously mentioned it boots up quickly and the picture quality is great. Also, it is one of the few players out that has an ethernet port to allow for upgrades (FYI: this is standard on HD-DVD players). I've also read they are working on a patch that will allow for better upconverting on standard DVD's.

I would grab a 60 gig now while they are still on shelves and on sale as once they are gone you're stuck with tthe 80gig model which won't make any difference in movie playback capabilities.

Also as I am format nuetral, Toshiba has some great deals on their HD-DVD models as well.

Good luck and welcome.
thanks for your HD DVD advertisement mr. neutral. As far as the upconverting goes, its probably one of the better systems out there, compared to anything else but it is confirmed that their looking to improve the already awesome up converting by another 30% to 40%.

But hey, whats a great deal when your buying a dying format right?
Old 09-05-2007, 07:37 PM

Thanks for the help. I've order one and should have it in 2 days. That was more helpful than asking BB, CC, or even Sony.