Folklore Demo - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-23-2007, 10:31 AM

Default Folklore Demo

Anyone else DL the demo from UK PSN? Thoughts?
Old 08-23-2007, 02:27 PM
HDD Contributor

I actually played around with the original "Folksoul" demo on the Japanese PSN Store, and this one was quite a bit different. The Japanese version seemed more focused on the story, and there was a lot of wandering around in town and talking to the Folk (I presume, since it was all in Japanese) before actually going into the Netherworld and messing around with combat.

Combat seems interesting. On the one hand, when you're just fighting minions, it seems a little slow paced and repetitive, especially if you're used to the likes of Devil May Cry and such. But once you get to the boss fight at the end of the demo, it becomes quite a bit of fun since your tactics involve using different Folk at different stages to take the boss down. I was kind of on the fence about this title when I first heard of it, and was still on the fence after playing the Japanese demo, but this new gameplay involving the boss battles and more tactical use of the Folk is making me lean towards getting the title now. And for once, I don't mind the SixAxis, because its use is brief and accurate, so, despite the fact that it's still gimmicky, it doesn't interfere with gameplay.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:43 PM

I'm pretty sure I'm getting this one. When does it come out?
Old 08-24-2007, 01:38 PM

It comes out 5 days after Home comes out...Oct. 9. I'll probably pick this one up as well (once I get use to moving the camera while walking and stuff).
Old 08-24-2007, 01:51 PM

I haven't fully downloaded it yet but it looks pretty good. Reminds me alot of fable in certain aspects, but then of course i haven't played it yet. I need to get a game, so far my ps3 is nothing but a blu ray player! I will either be getting this or heavenly sword.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:03 PM

Maybe I'm just not very good at this but the demo took me nearly an hour to get through. Hopefully that means this game actually has some good length. Worried about the tedium though, "use these monsters to kill that monster" was the theme of both the demo levels, if that's how each level is I'll pass.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:54 PM

I've not beaten the demo yet because I just wanted a feel for the game. It seems interesting, really. But to me it doesn't have a Paper-Rock-Scissors feeling to it.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:18 PM
HDD Contributor

For PS2 veterans, I'd say that the game's combat has a similar pace to Atlus' Devil Summoner. There isn't anything in the way of in-depth combs a la Devil May Cry, and there's a simplistic "leveling up" component to your Folk as you absorb the souls of similar monsters and gain XP for them. I'm not sure how complex it gets, that's reserved for a full play through, but at this point, it seems like the game rates at least a "not bad" to "competently done."

I'll reserve judgment on whether it's really good or not for later.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:06 AM

Ok, after completing the demo it actually reminds me of a mix between fable and kameo. I played through and beat the female character portion and found that while i could see the battles getting repetitive over time, they were fun in the demo. As long as they keep new monsters that you can use and upgrade your abilities to keep things fresh, i don't think it will lose a thing. The boss battle at the end was definitely the highlight of the demo. It looked great and actually required a little bit of strategy to beat it.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:07 PM
formerly Blu Christmas

I'm not a HUGE gamer, so this is probably just me, but I get very annoyed at having to stop and talk to each person and read their tidbits of info.

Stop and press X - "Some people say - fill in the blank - I don't know if that's true. Good luck on your quest." Do I have to read a million of these things?

This is next-gen??? I did this in Zelda on the N64. While the game looks pretty and the demo was kind of fun, I just thought that that part was a bit cumbersome and dated.

If somebody in the game has something to say:
1: Make it important.
2. Give me some sound.

Like I said, maybe it's just me.