Ps3 Tv(dvr) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-22-2007, 08:48 PM

Default Ps3 Tv(dvr)

Quote:
LEIPZIG, Germany--Sony Computer Entertainment Europe told the world back at this year's E3 that it was saving up all its big announcements for Leipzig, where it promised a whole host of surprises, including something special for European PlayStation Portable owners.

Tonight, the company did not disappoint at its event in and around its booth in Hall 2 at the Leipziger Messe. Close to 700 people crowded around the stage to watch SCEE CEO David Reeves deliver his hour-long presentation. Unfortunately overlooking the portable chairs included in the long, heavy bags they were given at the event's entrance, some attendees sat on chairs at the front of the venue, while others spilled onto beanbags at the side. Still others sat on a row of (nonworking) toilets installed in part of the 'This Is Living' booth.

The lights dimmed, and after a countdown from 10 and a short video, David Reeves took to the stage, where he introduced the event to the crowd. He said, "GC is even more important and influential than before this year, as E3 is moving to be more regional." The executive then showed off his (fairly decent) German by repeating his introduction in that language, before apologising to the crowd that because it would take too long to speak in both languages, he would continue only in English.

Reeves then said that since it was "tradition" to start Sony events with a torrent of statistics and sales figures, that is what he would be doing. He lambasted criticism of sales of the PS3, by stating that the console had "actually enjoyed a faster curve than the PS2 did in the first few months." He called the launch "stunning" and revealed that 13 million units had been sold across Europe. First-party titles Resistance: Fall of Man and MotorStorm to date in Europe have sold 535,000 and 469,000 copies, respectively.

The PS3 would be getting 65 more first-party titles in Europe by Christmas, Reeves said, and it currently has a 2.6-to-1 tie ratio, which means 2.6 games have been sold per console. He then talked about the PS2, which is still going strong, and now has an installed base in PAL regions of 44 million. He also pointed out that it was tripling sales of the Xbox 360.

The PlayStation Portable now has an 8.6 million installed base, with a 4-to-1 tie ratio, and saw a 40 percent uplift in sales in the 10 weeks following the price drop.

Next up were some figures for the PlayStation Network, which has had 7.6 million downloads so far spread among its 645,000 registered users. The most popular title is Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection, which has been downloaded 103,000 times, followed by flOw with 47,000 downloads.

Sales figures thus dispensed with, Reeves announced "a service that will revolutionize how the PS3 is portrayed as an entertainment hub." The service is Play TV, and gamers can use it to turn their PS3s into video recorders.

Play TV will launch in the UK, Germany, Italy, Spain, and France in 2008, and in Scandinavia shortly thereafter.

Reeves said there are 275 titles, including third-party releases, that are scheduled for release in the run-up to Christmas. He dated Heavenly Sword in the UK to September 19, and Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction to autumn. Reeves also talked about a new Buzz! quiz game, Buzz! Quiz TV, which will be coming out on the PS3 next year.

Next he talked about the PlayStation Network, and said that there would be a "strong line-up" between now and Christmas, including Gran Turismo 5: Prologue, which will be coming to SCEE territories before the end of the year.

The new, improved, slimmer PlayStation Portable was also dated for the region, set to debut September 5. In Europe, the handheld will be coming out in white, silver, and piano black, along with two special bundled theme packs: a Simpsons theme in yellow, and a Spider-Man theme with the front in red and the back in black.

But Reeves wasn't done yet; he introduced Go!Messenger and Go!Explore, follow-ups in a series that began with the Go!Cam back in May. Go!Messenger will allow for text, video, and voice-over IP messaging between PSPs connected to the Internet. Go!Explore adds GPS-aided navigation for driving to the handheld. However, to use the feature, PSP owners must buy a universal media disc (UMD) with maps of the region they're driving in.

The final announcement on the list was that of the FIFA Interactive World Cup 2008, a joint initiative between Sony and Electronic Arts to "find the world's best virtual athlete." Registrations are now open at www.fifa.com/fiwc.

Reeves finished by handing the stage over to a Sony Germany executive, who welcomed the popular German band Die Toten Hosen (translation: "The Dead Trousers") on stage to sing a song from the new SingStar game, Die Toten Hosen Sing Party.

Gamespot

oh man. That is looking amazing for Europe. Cannot wait for that to hit state side. I will going from a 160GB hard drive to a 320GB hard drive for sure!
Old 08-22-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
At the Consumer Electronics Show in January 2006, Sony executives announced that the company's Connect service would bring music and video downloads to the Playstation Portable in two months. That didn't happen. March 2006 came and went with no sign of Sony's would-be iTunes launching to its multimedia-enabled gaming handheld.

Then, earlier this month, an Australian executive hinted that Sony was readying a digital television service for the PlayStation 3. Speaking with a New Zealand-based newspaper, he outlined a TiVo-like service which would allow the game console to be used as both a TV tuner and personal video recorder (PVR).

Today at the Leipzig Games Convention in Germany, Sony officially announced its multimedia plan for both the PSP and PS3. Collectively called PlayTV, the service will indeed imbue Sony's console with PVR and TV tuner functions, allowing users to record and store live television shows on the PS3's hard drive. The high-definition TV tuner will be two-tiered, allowing users to watch one show while recording another in resolution up to 1080p. Programs can then be transferred onto the PSP for viewing on the go, or viewed remotely via the PS3-to-PSP streaming functionality. PlayTV will also have a seven-day electronic program guide that can be navigated via the Sixaxis game controller.

While there's little doubt PlayTV will likely appeal to PlayStation owners worldwide, so far it has been announced only for five countries in Western Europe: France, Italy, Germany, Spain, and the UK. Sony has not yet announced any North American or Asian plans. Sony's Leipzig announcement also studiously avoided any mention of cost, raising the possibility that, like the PlayStation Network, PlayTV could be totally free of charge.

Sony also used the sprawling Games Convention--which has become Europe's top game-industry event--to announce a new messaging service for the PSP. Launching in 2008, Go!Messenger will be installed in PSPs via a firmware update, and allow text-based instant messaging via the portable's built-in wireless Internet connection. The update will also give the PSP an all-new keyboard system to replace the current predictive text input format.

Perhaps even more importantly, Go!Messenger will allow PSP owners to engage in voice-over IP chatting via a headset. Also, with addition of the PSP's camera peripheral, it will allow for full video chat wherever wireless Internet access is available.

No pricing has been announced for Go!Messenger. Codeveloped by UK telecom giant BT, the functionality will launch in January 2008 in Europe. Like PlayTV, no North American or Asian plans for the service have yet been announced.

GameSpot

more news
Old 08-22-2007, 09:02 PM

I think the DVR system is a great idea. but i do have some concerns. First, what kind of restrictions would Sony put on the recorded material. It sounds like to me that Sony is restricting the recordings to the PS3 and the PSP. Second, what types of formats or codec will they be using. I don't want to be stuck with some encrypted file that can only be used on the PS3 or PSP.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by familiar realm View Post
I think the DVR system is a great idea. but i do have some concerns. First, what kind of restrictions would Sony put on the recorded material. It sounds like to me that Sony is restricting the recordings to the PS3 and the PSP. Second, what types of formats or codec will they be using. I don't want to be stuck with some encrypted file that can only be used on the PS3 or PSP.
what you have to remember that its not always Sony who will set the restrictions. Copy Right protection, (dosent matter your opinion on it) is something thats inbeded into the entertainment industry. With DRM in XboxLive, Tivo, iTunes and any other content. It unfortunately falls to the consumer to then have the proper setup or not. For example, my iTunes account works flawlessly for me because I can take my content on my iPod, iPhone, AppleTV, Mac and PC's. For others, it might be left only on their iPod.

Again, for me, in this case, it dosent matter, i got a PS3, I got a PSP. Good enough for me but I can assure you that because of Piracy issues, there will be some form of restrictions on it because lets say Sony wants to put music and its owned by WB, their gonna be the ones who tells Sony how much right they have or Fox will say if Simpsons can be transfered or not. So while I do agree it sucks, we dont really have a choice either untill there is some form of revolution in the Media Realm
Old 08-23-2007, 01:21 AM

It will not be coming to America for years. That sucks
Old 08-23-2007, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master X View Post
It will not be coming to America for years. That sucks
And you know this how?
Old 08-23-2007, 03:54 AM
HDD Contributor

He's right, Phil Harrison confirmed it with Kotaku. America doesn't yet have the proper infrastructure to support it.

Source
Old 08-23-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
ˇ PlayTV's two TV tuners are High Definition ready and are able to view, record and play back High Definition signals in full HD1080P to fully complement PS3's already impressive High Definition credentials.

ˇ Unlike the electronic programme guides found on conventional satellite and cable services, PlayTV's EPG is lightning fast, and simple to use with either PS3's SIXAXIS™ wireless controller or the BD remote control to really enhance viewing pleasure.

ˇ Intuitive controls, single button help features, tutorial videos and simple navigation make PlayTV a positive joy to use compared with the complexity of some standalone PVR models

ˇ Seamless connectivity with PSP allows you to set recordings, watch Live TV and recorded TV programmes remotely on PSP via a Wi-Fi connection (using Remote Play feature). Alternatively, quickly transcode recorded TV shows for high quality viewing to PSP by USB cable for remote viewing away from the home.

ˇ Optional on-screen graphical display provides a wealth of information about the status of PlayTV and provides quick access to programme information, stored TV programmes and the controls to pause or record live TV. PlayTV will also set the correct interface for either Standard Definition or High Definition displays, maximising the viewing experience.

ˇ PlayTV will evolve with time, with great added value functionality being updated via PLAYSTATIONŽNetwork; a feature that sets it above all other set top boxes. PlayTV will never be out of date.

"The introduction of PlayTV really will extend the already broad entertainment credentials of PS3, and makes it an exceptionally attractive proposition for the whole family," said David Reeves, President of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. "PS3 already provides High Definition gaming, Blu-ray Disc movies, music, video, photo album, web browsing and PLAYSTATION Network support. With the introduction of PlayTV's state of the art TV tuner and PVR functionality, PS3 is now the best choice of home entertainment hub for the whole family.
a little more detail. some the same info
Old 08-23-2007, 05:08 PM

http://kotaku.com/gaming/clips/play-...ned-292541.php

Nothing shows it better then a video.
All I can say is wow. This is beyond impressive. I hope this comes state side. Even if I have to plug my Cable to it, I dont care!!!!
Old 08-26-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
While there's little doubt PlayTV will likely appeal to PlayStation owners worldwide, so far it has been announced only for five countries in Western Europe: France, Italy, Germany, Spain, and the UK. Sony has not yet announced any North American or Asian plans. Sony's Leipzig announcement also studiously avoided any mention of cost, raising the possibility that, like the PlayStation Network, PlayTV could be totally free of charge
Well going by current dvb-t systems the content should be free (aka free to air tv )

There should be no reason to place any DRM restrictions on the content, systems like this are already out on the market. In Aus, at least, there are many different options for recording live TV. The one I was considering (and was about a week away from purchasing until I read about this option) was to buy a USB dongle with dvb-t capability, and then use Linux to record the stream. But now I wait to read more on this option.

My only worry now is how long is 'safe' to leave a PS3 on? :S and can you play games while its recording? haha i can be way to picky sometimes

I sure hope its going to come to Aus though (this was leaked by a neighbour of ours afterall [ie a New Zealand rep. ] and unlike the US, we have the dvb-t infrastructure already set up, so we should be cool *crosses fingers*

Great post illigalprelude, thanks mate,
Alex