Persona 3 a pretty interesting game.... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-21-2007, 10:45 AM

Default Persona 3 a pretty interesting game....

I own most Atlus games for the PS2, and this is by far the best Shin Megami Tensei title yet. The graphics and story are on the same level as Odin Sphere, very clean and crisp, and looks amazing upscaled.

I haven't got too far in the game yet. I'm about to enter a dungeon, so I'll see more of the combat system, but it's similar to their past games. The character development aspect is different, but I'm looking forward to different.

Side note, some may have issues with using a spirit gun to shoot themselves in the head, but I think if you're mature enough to buy a video game, you're mature enough to realize it's just a video game.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:20 PM
HDD Contributor

I only just started playing it myself, but I'm noticing--especially in the beginning--how much more plot/characterization there is with the game. SMT: Nocturne is probably my favorite of this generation of Atlus games, and it seemed like a less "linear" experience, in that there weren't so many cut-scenes and character moments thrown at you on a regular basis.

That's not to say I'm disliking what I see now, but it is a big difference. The lack of control over other party members in combat is also a bit different, and that's gonna' take some getting used to, but so far they haven't done anything profoundly stupid that's jeopardized a battle.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
I only just started playing it myself, but I'm noticing--especially in the beginning--how much more plot/characterization there is with the game. SMT: Nocturne is probably my favorite of this generation of Atlus games, and it seemed like a less "linear" experience, in that there weren't so many cut-scenes and character moments thrown at you on a regular basis.

That's not to say I'm disliking what I see now, but it is a big difference. The lack of control over other party members in combat is also a bit different, and that's gonna' take some getting used to, but so far they haven't done anything profoundly stupid that's jeopardized a battle.

Yah, I'm waiting to get into the story more before I pass any harsh judgements on it. So far the plot develoment has been interesting, so we'll see where it goes from there. I haven't got a chance to do much with the combat system (other than the 2 shadows you kill as part of the storyline), so we'll see how that goes tonight. The graphics just blew me away though, especially considering it's an Atlus game. The soundtrack is pretty sweet as well.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:50 PM

Yeah, I am loving this game right now. Best Atlus title in a long time. My favorite before this was actually Persona 2...
Old 08-22-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentmist View Post
Yeah, I am loving this game right now. Best Atlus title in a long time. My favorite before this was actually Persona 2...
Digital Devil Saga was always my favorite. The soundtrack was just che magnific.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:17 PM
HDD Contributor

I did enjoy the DDS series, there was some pretty decent storytelling going on in there. But like I said, Nocturne is my favorite. Probably just I'm "old school" in many respects and Nocturne was one of the Freakin' Hardest RPGs I'd played in years. That game made you earn every victory, forced you to really think about your moves in combat, and had you preciously monitoring your resources for healing and spell-casting as you navigated the hideously difficult dungeons. Great stuff. I also like the fact that the story--like most of the "pure" Shin Megami Tensei games--took on some pretty gutsy stuff. Really, how many games take place at the END of world, when it's all gone and everybody's already dead?

Don't get me wrong though, I thoroughly enjoyed DDS, it had more characterization going for it, and I really liked the changes in Gale as the two games wore on, but the scope of Nocturne's themes and the scale of its game mechanics and dungeons edges it out for me.

So far though I'm enjoying the "time management" aspect of running through the school day the fact that you CAN'T grind during the Dark Hour endlessly.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:27 PM
Banned

Wasnt there already a post about p3? Coulda swore..

P3 was okay, semi short tho.

Waiting on growlanser special edition
Old 08-23-2007, 11:07 AM

WOW, Ice you beat it already? Wish I had that kind of time, I just made it to level 10 last nite....and then fell asleep. I find it aggrivating that they get tired so quickly, but I suppose that's part of how the game is. However, I'm kind of curious as to what happens if you keep playing with them tired...do they get sick? Also, the level 10 boss kicked my butt, thus ending my play for the nite. By the time I tried all my spells, I was blown to bits....lol. No retreating either....

The school part has also been difficult. I keep getting these messages saying my charm has increased, my academics has increased, yet when I look at my meter, it hasn't changed at all. It's not even clear where you are in the game and how much you need to get to the next level - that I don't like.
I'm enjoying the kid wanting to hit on his teacher though - that storyline is cracking me up - that and his obsession with Ramen. It's very Narutoesqe. I've also started wondering if the main is going to strike up a relationship with the class president...whoohoo! She's the class hotty imo.

Also, you a Luminous Arc fan?
Old 08-27-2007, 01:36 PM

Floor 65 and holding....ug! This game is intense....so many things to work on.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:00 PM
HDD Contributor

Gamer tip:

It is actually possible to grind your characters in Tartarus. On the night before a full moon, the game gives you a "grace period" where the characters do not get tired. It's a small act of mercy to let your characters grind up to a decent level before taking on a boss.