Audio Humming on PS3, any fix? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-20-2007, 09:10 PM

Default Audio Humming on PS3, any fix?

Anytime I am watching a Blu-Ray movie or playing a PS3 game on my PS3 it has a rather obnoxious humming in the background. Not real loud, just noticeable. I have tried plugging the power cord into the same outlet as my TV and many other attempted fixes, replacing audio cables, etc. all to no avail.

I also have an XBox360, which is plugged into a different component input on my TV and when I am watching HD DVD movies, you can hear that same audio hum. The PS3 can even be powered down and you hear that audio hum like a transformer running. Physically pull the power plug out of the outlet that is connected to the PS3 and the audio hum goes away goes away even on the XBox360.

I am assuming my PS3 is screwed up somehow and may need repaired. Anyone else had this issue? Is there a fix other than getting it repaired somewhere?

Thanks.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:17 PM
Banned

U sure its the ps3 and 360?

Obviously a stupid question.. but are u sure its not the fans in the back?

Cuz um.. if it plays during BOTH 360 and PS3.. then its probably the TV.. maybe something is loose on the inside.. did u get the warranty?
Old 08-20-2007, 09:39 PM

The hum is present on the TV anytime the PS3 is plugged into an electrical outlet or the PS3 component cables are plugged into the TV.

I even bought another set of Sony PS3 component cables thinking the cables might be bad somehow.

It doesn't matter if I am watching CATV, the XBox360, the PS3, etc., the audio hum is there but if I unplug the PS3 component cables out of the TV then the audio hum goes away on everything. I have just found it easier to pull the power plug on the PS3 which also gets rid of the audio hum.

When the PS3 is unplugged the CATV and XBox360 work just fine and there isn't a trace of the problem.

It is definitely not the fans. I unplug the PS3 component cable out of the TV and problem goes away. I have even tried swapping component connections on the back of the TV meaning I plug the XBox 360 in where the PS3 was plugged in and plugging the PS3 where the XBox was plugged in and the problem always stays with and seems to be related to the PS3.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:59 PM
Banned

Then yes, its something to do with the audio input in the back of the ps3.

The easiest thing to do is take it back to where you got it and say the audio input is defective.

Where did you purchase it at? DId u get the warranty? How long ago?

Ive never used component so I cant really give u an answer to fix it, I use the hdmi so yeah.

I can help more once I know a bit.