Finally broke the top 100... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-15-2007, 07:52 PM
Banned

Default Finally broke the top 100...

Now I can lay this unbelievably frustrating game down.

Super Stardust in insanely hard every time you beat the game. It restarts with increasing difficulty, and once you flip it a 2nd time, Elite hard is just crazy.... I couldnt believe I actually made it to the last phase (right before the last boss) before I choked.

I broke 258 mil, hit spot #91. PSN- Xodustrance

Now - I say goodbye to this little gem.

Onto better things.

I cant seem to get into Oblivion. Maybe its just me, it just seems incredibly boring with no real sense of being the "avatar" or savior in the game. Seems to open ended in my opinion, no sense of urgency.

I have the next few days off so maybe Ill revisit this one.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:16 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blumoon View Post
I cant seem to get into Oblivion. Maybe its just me, it just seems incredibly boring with no real sense of being the "avatar" or savior in the game. Seems to open ended in my opinion, no sense of urgency.

I have the next few days off so maybe Ill revisit this one.
This is a fair opinion. It's not for everyone, especially if you do prefer a more linear experience. I myself was impressed with it, but only because I'd also played and enjoyed the previous PC game, Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, so I knew exactly what I was getting into with Oblivion.

One of the tricks to really making the most of the game is to simply explore and see what it has to offer. There are sidequests up the wazoo scattered everywhere, dungeons that don't appear on paper map that comes with the game, and many, many buildings/people/activities that are off the beaten path if you're willing to step away from the road and just see what's in the forest. I actually had a lot more fun with it once I stopped trying to follow the main quest missions and just decided to do whatever I wanted, but I can easily see how this big "playground" might not be for everyone; they did have to be careful that you didn't "break" anything that might impede your progress so things like important mission-givers can't be killed, so as to inadvertently deny yourself content later. Not realistic, but better than realizing 40 hours into the game that the Ultimate Magic Sword's location lay with someone you killed and forgot about days ago.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Former Member

I can put 80 hours into a game like Final Fantasy III, but Oblivion, I couldn't get more than 4 into. It just isn't for everyone, and that's the best thing anyone could say about it. I wish they'd revisit some of the older RPGs (Vandal Hearts, Shining Force) that were turn based/tactical and not just utterly ruin them.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:56 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8boss87 View Post
I can put 80 hours into a game like Final Fantasy III, but Oblivion, I couldn't get more than 4 into. It just isn't for everyone, and that's the best thing anyone could say about it. I wish they'd revisit some of the older RPGs (Vandal Hearts, Shining Force) that were turn based/tactical and not just utterly ruin them.
I have to agree with this. It's a personal prejudice for me on two fronts. First, I'm an "old school" gamer, so I really don't mind turn-based RPGs at all, it may be slower paced, but it's a different, more tactical/strategic feel. Juiced up Chess, if you will.

Second, I actually managed the trick of turning the Wife into a gamer, and part of that was turn-based RPGs. She doesn't enjoy reflex games that require precise combos or insane amounts of hand-eye coordination, but she loves a good a story and she loves an in-depth, turn-based combat system that forces her to think and we've been finding fewer and fewer games to play together in that regard, since RPGs like Rogue Galaxy and the upcoming Folklore have done away with good ol' fashioned turn-based gameplay.

We're BOTH obviously looking forward to enjoying Persona 3, but I hope that doesn't turn into the last of the turn-based games. There's still a market for people that want to stop, think and act in their RPGs rather than just bash away with combos.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:20 PM

i go through phases where i do and don't like games like oblivion, so i know exactly what you mean. the absolute lack of urgency to doing any given thing can be either incredibly awesome or maddeningly boring.

i still remember playing elder scrolls ONE waaaay back when - i had a crapton of fun with it, but eventually i just got so frustrated with the fact that i really had no urgency to it that i ended up putting it aside and being burnt out on super-open-ended games for a while.

now, i'm back into that phase and playing oblivion obsessively.