PS3 online experience vs xbox live - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-08-2007, 09:25 AM

Default PS3 online experience vs xbox live

I just got an xbox 360 and love it, along with the xbox live experience. I'm thinking of getting a ps3 also. I know the PS3 online experience is free, except for premium content. Can anybody give me their unbiased opinion on both?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Watcher of stances

360 live is far richer in features like unified gamertags throughout all games, easy to access friends list, and the ability to send invites from in game.

i find playing online with my PS3 a bit clumsy with having to utilize "lobbies" in each game. the friends list is bare bones and at the moment, and can't be accessed from in game. this can be resolved, but sony is dragging their feet.

aside from all that, they both essentially work about the same.

although i find the 360 community to mostly filled with racist homophobes and tend to only play against people i know in real life. i don't like paying for online matchmaking, but it's a necessary evil to shoot a round of golf here and there with my 360 buddies that don't own a PS3 yet.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Thanks for the input

I've read some developers trashing the PS3 and how hard it is to write games for etc. I've got a PS2 and work in the tech field so MS is pretty prevelant in my life. Will probably take the dive before the holidays and get the PS3 because I'm single and don't have a wife to tell me I can't
Old 08-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Banned

the ps3 is great online, barely or rarely any lag what so ever! However the friend system needs a ton of tweaking.. thats to say the least.. and a lot of the games that have online on 360 don't on the ps3.. enchanted arms for one..tony hawk.. the list goes on and on..
Old 08-08-2007, 05:28 PM

No comparison between the two. Xbox Live is way better then (the) online play Sony has dreamed up. There's nothing that sets it apart. There's no sence of community. No achievements and gamer score. No cross-game invites. No cross-platform play. It's well worth the $49.99 a year.

Last edited by AV_Integrated; 08-08-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustoMan View Post
No comparison between the two. Xbox Live is way better then (the) online play Sony has dreamed up. There's nothing that sets it apart. There's no sence of community. No achievements and gamer score. No cross-game invites. No cross-platform play. It's well worth the $49.99 a year.
Agreed... I have had Live since the Beta and the Live that has come to pass since the release of the 360 is amazing. The PS3 online is still missing features of the original XBox Live and that is unfortunate.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealo View Post
360 live is far richer in features like unified gamertags throughout all games, easy to access friends list, and the ability to send invites from in game.

i find playing online with my PS3 a bit clumsy with having to utilize "lobbies" in each game. the friends list is bare bones and at the moment, and can't be accessed from in game. this can be resolved, but sony is dragging their feet.

aside from all that, they both essentially work about the same.

although i find the 360 community to mostly filled with racist homophobes and tend to only play against people i know in real life. i don't like paying for online matchmaking, but it's a necessary evil to shoot a round of golf here and there with my 360 buddies that don't own a PS3 yet.
agreed, your post shares my exact sentiment.

just to add to the OP, remember tho the psn is free right now and its not bad, but its just not as refined yet.

and yea xbox live gets annoying with kids talking racist crap all the time, but thats how the internet is
Old 08-09-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustoMan View Post
you may have heard of Home...

To the original poster, i think the experience between live and PSN is very different. Like others said, Live is full of racist 13 year olds and I dont enjoy playing much on live while PS3 online games tend to be with more mature people.

Having said that, I think as more games continue to come out, you will be seeing a uniform online setup, mostly with PlayStation Home coming out. If you dont know what it is, check it out. Once that community begins to grow, you will see a mix of Live, Marketplace, friendslist and more into one nice setup with much richer content and features.

So personally, im not a big live fan. Its fine, I can see people playing what game their playing in PSN, luanch into that game and join them.

Once for example PS Home comes out, you can be in Home, invite your friends to where you are and all luanch into the same game and you will find game lobys for within home and trophies and so forth.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
you may have heard of Home...

To the original poster, i think the experience between live and PSN is very different. Like others said, Live is full of racist 13 year olds and I dont enjoy playing much on live while PS3 online games tend to be with more mature people.

Having said that, I think as more games continue to come out, you will be seeing a uniform online setup, mostly with PlayStation Home coming out. If you dont know what it is, check it out. Once that community begins to grow, you will see a mix of Live, Marketplace, friendslist and more into one nice setup with much richer content and features.

So personally, im not a big live fan. Its fine, I can see people playing what game their playing in PSN, luanch into that game and join them.

Once for example PS Home comes out, you can be in Home, invite your friends to where you are and all luanch into the same game and you will find game lobys for within home and trophies and so forth.
Thats all nice and dandy (FYI I am a 360 and ps3 owner), and I am looking forward to checking out home.. but who the hell wants to launch into a gfx intensive virtual myspace to send a game invite or search for friends.. thats just retarded. Yah its cool when you are in there im sure.. but xbl has the far better online service as of now. I can turn the system on, see whats up, and launch into a game. Easy and quick, no hassle.

Whats the online service have to do with the people who play on it anyway? Its mainly a question about which service is better, technically.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
Like others said, Live is full of racist 13 year olds and I dont enjoy playing much on live while PS3 online games tend to be with more mature people.
This has never been my experience at all with Live. I guess it depends on what community that Optimatch puts you in, but I've never run across people like that. And besides, if you don't like what people are saying, that's what the mute button and feedback/complaints are for. If you do run across someone you don't really care for. Send negative feedback and the system will avoid that person, and others like him. The matchmaking system with every Live game is a beautiful thing.