Few Questions Regarding the PS3 Before I Purchase - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-07-2007, 12:13 AM

Default Few Questions Regarding the PS3 Before I Purchase

Hey Guys,

I have a few questions regarding the PS3. I know I'm going to eventually buy one, so I think it will be sooner than later.

Few questions:

1. Is the 60 gig model the last to have actual hardware for backwards compatibility? Meaning the emotion chip.

1a. How good is the backward compat on the PS3 for PS2 games? Does it upconvert them to 720p at least and allow them to fit to a 16:9 format?

2. How well does the PS3 work as an upconverting DVD player? I currently have a 720p projector - Mits HD1000U with an Oppo 970 upconverting player. If it does a good job, I may ditch the Oppo.

3. What else is cool about it? I currently have a 360, and I want to see what those with both systems think are cool features not on the 360.

I look at the games coming out for the PS3 in the near future, and nothing really jumps out as me needing to buy this holiday season, but I think 2008 will be a good year for the PS3. What really has me pumped if I get one is actually the games on PSN like Super Stardust and Tekken online. Warhawk looks pretty badass too. I also have heard a new Twisted Metal game will be coming this holiday for the PS2. I'm assuming it will have online, but I would love to play it in "HD" on a PS3 if possible.

I'm also looking forward to having a Bluray player. I've always felt format neutral, just didn't have the hardware.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet View Post
Hey Guys,

I have a few questions regarding the PS3. I know I'm going to eventually buy one, so I think it will be sooner than later.

Few questions:

1. Is the 60 gig model the last to have actual hardware for backwards compatibility? Meaning the emotion chip.

1a. How good is the backward compat on the PS3 for PS2 games? Does it upconvert them to 720p at least and allow them to fit to a 16:9 format?

2. How well does the PS3 work as an upconverting DVD player? I currently have a 720p projector - Mits HD1000U with an Oppo 970 upconverting player. If it does a good job, I may ditch the Oppo.

3. What else is cool about it? I currently have a 360, and I want to see what those with both systems think are cool features not on the 360.

I look at the games coming out for the PS3 in the near future, and nothing really jumps out as me needing to buy this holiday season, but I think 2008 will be a good year for the PS3. What really has me pumped if I get one is actually the games on PSN like Super Stardust and Tekken online. Warhawk looks pretty badass too. I also have heard a new Twisted Metal game will be coming this holiday for the PS2. I'm assuming it will have online, but I would love to play it in "HD" on a PS3 if possible.

I'm also looking forward to having a Bluray player. I've always felt format neutral, just didn't have the hardware.

Thanks in advance.
1) from what I understand the 80 gig will have some emulator and they can probably patch any games that need to be to be compatible. Not a big deal if you ask me.

2) I'm not a technical guy but I can tell you I compared sd dvds on my xbox 360 via vga cable and the ps3 and they both looked about the same

3) the PS3 is great, I just bought it and first thing is the build quality is hands down way superior to the 360s. The game lineup looks fine uncharted/warhawk/hs/lair/ratchet/unreal3 and all the great games coming out in 08. The psn isn't as refined as xbox live yet but it's also alot younger and its free.

However, I do like the setup and the options you'll see is really nice in terms of the setup for everything ie audio/video etc

and of course the blu ray is just icing on the cake, it's great.

I'm really looking forward to HS, ratchet, unreal, haze, uncharted for this year. all the games that I will be getting for the xbox are pretty much shooter, the ps3 will bring some much needed variety.

Hope this helps, I'm very happy with my ps3
Old 08-07-2007, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Few questions:

Thanks in advance.
1a. As far as I know the 60G is the last version to have hardware backwards compatability. The 80G will have software emulators for backwards compatability.

1b. Backwards compatability is very high for the 60G version. I do not know about the 80G. You can find out if the games you have are compatable here. The PS/PS2 upconversion sucks though. It doesn't make much of a diff at all and sometimes looks a little worse. It depends on the game if it helps or not, but I haven't seen one look much better.

2. Works wonders as an upconverter. Doesn't look as good as native HD signals, but looks much better than regular DVD. I got rid of my other upconverting DVD player because the PS3 did a much better job.

3. I don't have both systems, but some cool things the PS3 can do are a: BD player, b: media center with memory card readers and streaming content from your PC, c: bluetooth for controlers, remote, headsets, and keyboard/mouse with up to 7 periferals connected at once, d: easily upgrade your HD with any 2.5" HD, e: adding Linux to it.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly79 View Post
The PS/PS2 upconversion sucks though. It doesn't make much of a diff at all and sometimes looks a little worse. It depends on the game if it helps or not, but I haven't seen one look much better.

2. Works wonders as an upconverter. Doesn't look as good as native HD signals, but looks much better than regular DVD. I got rid of my other upconverting DVD player because the PS3 did a much better job.
I think it does a nice job on most PS2 games...FFXII looks a lot better with
smoothing and upscaling on IMO...to each his own I guess.

I also sold my upscaling DVD player, PS3 does a great job at it.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly79 View Post
1b. Backwards compatability is very high for the 60G version. I do not know about the 80G. You can find out if the games you have are compatable here. The PS/PS2 upconversion sucks though. It doesn't make much of a diff at all and sometimes looks a little worse. It depends on the game if it helps or not, but I haven't seen one look much better.
I haven't seen any titles look "better" per say than they did on my SD TV, but they certainly look better than plugging my old PS1/PS2 into my HDTV. My TV really messed up 480i signals, until they looks very blurry and smeary. No blurry or smeary problems with the PS3's backwards compatability though.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:06 PM

1) yes
2) yes
3) yes
Old 08-07-2007, 07:29 PM

Thanks for the information guys. I appreciate it.

Hopefully I'll have one in the next month or two - if I can hold out that long.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Few questions:

Thanks in advance.
1.) Yes.
1a.) I haven't had a problem with a single game so far. That and they load faster on PS3.
2.) Excellent. They look substantially better than any other upconverting DVD player I've owned. Sometimes I think I don't even need to bother with buying the BD versions of movies.
3.) The DLNA feature is great. Music and movie playback is solid and always fun to use. The web browser is decent, although it runs out of memory pretty quickly, and downloading stuff onto a console is just darn cool. PSN is pretty neat!
Old 08-21-2007, 07:46 AM

The PS3 does do a great job of up converting standard dvd's, but the up conversion on the oppo is amazing. Plus the added bonus of the easy switch to region free on the oppo is a nice bonus as well. I'm keeping mine until they release a blu-ray player.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Few questions:

1. Is the 60 gig model the last to have actual hardware for backwards compatibility? Meaning the emotion chip. Emotion? Emulation You mean? The older 60 gig's do, I believe they are using software now in the 80 gigs.

1a. How good is the backward compat on the PS3 for PS2 games? Does it upconvert them to 720p at least and allow them to fit to a 16:9 format? 95-96percent positive, only a select 50 or so aren't bc, and those are mainly crappy games anyways, like final fantasy XI.

2. How well does the PS3 work as an upconverting DVD player? I currently have a 720p projector - Mits HD1000U with an Oppo 970 upconverting player. If it does a good job, I may ditch the Oppo. Upconverts to the highest setting your tv can produce, depending on the source, hdmi or component.

3. What else is cool about it? I currently have a 360, and I want to see what those with both systems think are cool features not on the 360. FREE ONLINE. Non laggy. The psn is pretty cool, updates every week with tons of free crap and downloads.

Thanks in advance.
Resistance, Heavenly Sword, Lair, Warhawk. All games coming out within a month RE is already out though, well worth the money.