HBO Go Coming to Both the PS3 and PS4 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-17-2014, 01:48 AM
HDD Editor

Post HBO Go Coming to Both the PS3 and PS4

HBO CEO: "When we premiere 'Game of Thrones' this year, we will be up on PS3."

http://games.highdefdigest.com/news/..._and_PS4/13613
Old 01-17-2014, 05:50 AM

that is a good news and i welcome the move to take the options more forward so to deliver the consumers some extras
Old 01-17-2014, 08:40 AM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Heads up: If you have Comcast as your cable provider, its very unlikely you'll have access to HBOGo via your Playstation. It took them FOREVER to okay it for the Xbox360, and they still don't allow access to it on Roku and many other streaming devices.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:10 AM

Things are never as easy as they seem. Behind the scenes, HBO requires that cable providers use particular "Authenticators" so that when a particular consumer wants to watch HBO GO on a particular device, it goes through an authentication process so that a Non-HBO consumer would not have access to HBO GO while an HBO Subscriber would. Somehow this is all tied in to the Billing System used by a cable provider. Also, HBO is picky about what authentication software you are using. The cable company that I work for has been trying for several years to get HBO to allow us access to HBO GO via the "Authentication" process that we have in place but HBO simply won't approve it. It is somewhat of a big deal to change to an authentication process that HBO does approve plus HBO does charge fees associated with allowing access to HBO GO. Another large MSO that uses the same authentication software that we use has been approved but HBO still will not approve us so we sit here in limbo. We would like to offer HBO GO but we can't since HBO won't approve our authenticator. Our HBO contract is via the NCTC (National Cable Television Cooperative) in Kansas which has nearly 1000 member cable companies scattered across the USA and we use the authenticator that the NCTC has aligned with. So until, HBO budges or the NCTC switches to a different "Authenticator" we're hosed. Also, the Authenticators that HBO does approve are something like (10) times more expensive than the one we use so typically this is why, maybe, the larger MSO's can carry HBO GO and smaller MSO's don't.

I don't know why Comcast would not carry HBO GO since they are certainly one of the largest MSO's in the country but it could be tied into the "Authentication" process or these fees associated with granting access.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:55 PM

I've never understood the need for these apps. If you already have HBO, it's very likely you have a DVR or already have HBO On Demand on your set top box.

What I would ultimately like to see would be for a consumer to be able to pay for the content without having to have a provider. I know this is very unlikely to happen any time in the near future; But, it would be cool if I had a way to only subscribe to HBO if I wanted (say, for $15, a month), and not have to buy all of the garbage that comes with most packaged content from a provider.

How many of us consistently watch even close to 33% of the channels we subscribe to?
Old 01-17-2014, 02:19 PM

The HBO go app has a much larger library than my On Demand. Plus you can watch it on mobile devices.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:51 PM

ugh, I'll be glad when HBO releases the stand alone streaming service. I don't have cable at all and would gladly pay them $ to stream HBO Go as it is.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:56 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamstring View Post
The HBO go app has a much larger library than my On Demand. Plus you can watch it on mobile devices.
This is the MAJOR reason people want HBOGo, which houses virtually every episode of every series and made-for-cable movie HBO has ever shown. On Demand has a very limited amount of HBO content, in comparison.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgonzo369 View Post
ugh, I'll be glad when HBO releases the stand alone streaming service. I don't have cable at all and would gladly pay them $ to stream HBO Go as it is.
I don't see it happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonNutt View Post
This is the MAJOR reason people want HBOGo, which houses virtually every episode of every series and made-for-cable movie HBO has ever shown. On Demand has a very limited amount of HBO content, in comparison.
Exactly, the HBOGo app is amazing!
Old 01-18-2014, 12:02 PM

I've been fucking waiting for ever for this! I sure as hell hope Comcast Xfinity is an option for a provider like it is on the 360 version. I do not see why they would change it now.