PS4 audio options suck - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-17-2013, 01:18 AM

Default PS4 audio options suck

So it seems that with the PS4, if I choose "Linear PCM" as the 'priority' audio output method, I get great surround sound audio in games. However, when I play a 5.1 movie in Netflix, I get stereo. If I change the priority audio to DTS or DD (both lossy), Netflix starts to use DD+, but now my games are presented in lossy DTS or DD.

Seems you can't win without changing audio options between things. Does anyone know any settings that would make this not be an issue?

With PS3, you just told it what you could support (or it figured it out via HDMI) and each app chose the best option for itself. This is really frustrating so far.

Last edited by Hastor; 11-17-2013 at 01:39 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:34 AM

Just tested Blu-ray and while it defaulted to converting everything to PCM, I was able to change it to bitstream as a default within the blu-ray player software, so that is good. Now if I could only set Netflix to send bitstream while still letting games use uncompressed audio!

Also, I'm not sure with Hulu. Nothing is really marked 5.1 so I don't know what should be surround and what shouldn't in order to test. That is if PS4 Hulu even supports surround. The Wii U version doesn't, but I attributed that to it only outputting surround in linear PCM where Hulu tends to use Dolby.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:42 PM

Wow, that really sucks. I just keep hearing how much less it offers than the current PS3 and now with the settings?
Old 11-17-2013, 02:22 PM

Well I hope that they fix this in a patch. I don't think Netflix needs patched so much as they need to change this 'priority audio' option which re-encodes stuff to a codec even when you support the original format. Each game, app, etc, should just be told what you support and pick the best it can use, as PS3 did.

They also plan to add 3D support in an update, though it is weird that their newest 'all in one' media device doesn't support 3D on Sony's own format (Blu-ray) when their last console and most of their new TVs do.

From a marketing standpoint, someone should be able to start from scratch, buy a Sony TV, Sony Receiver, and Sony PS4 and not need anything else to get the full benefit of the media.

That's a side note though, and they ARE going to add 3D. But the sound priority thing needs to go.

I'll be keeping my Panasonic Blu-ray player, which I thought I might be able to retire to the bedroom, until the PS4 catches up. I have a Fat PS3 which also plays PS2 games, and does 3D, but that model won't bitstream DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD, it decodes them in the console. I also think only the slim models can do lossless audio AND 3D at the same time (which was added in a later update).

Why force us to use one codec when we have receivers that do them all??
Old 11-18-2013, 11:12 PM

I was wondering if there's something going on with the netflix app itself. A show description will show me it's available in 5.1 but once started, clicking the right stick (R3) to bring up the stream quality display, shows me audio is in 2.0 no matter which change I make in the ps4's audio settings. Using my strdn1000 ran fine on my ps3. Hope they get it sorted out without too many hiccups.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastor View Post
Well I hope that they fix this in a patch. I don't think Netflix needs patched so much as they need to change this 'priority audio' option which re-encodes stuff to a codec even when you support the original format. Each game, app, etc, should just be told what you support and pick the best it can use, as PS3 did.

They also plan to add 3D support in an update, though it is weird that their newest 'all in one' media device doesn't support 3D on Sony's own format (Blu-ray) when their last console and most of their new TVs do.

From a marketing standpoint, someone should be able to start from scratch, buy a Sony TV, Sony Receiver, and Sony PS4 and not need anything else to get the full benefit of the media.

That's a side note though, and they ARE going to add 3D. But the sound priority thing needs to go.

I'll be keeping my Panasonic Blu-ray player, which I thought I might be able to retire to the bedroom, until the PS4 catches up. I have a Fat PS3 which also plays PS2 games, and does 3D, but that model won't bitstream DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD, it decodes them in the console. I also think only the slim models can do lossless audio AND 3D at the same time (which was added in a later update).

Why force us to use one codec when we have receivers that do them all??
I think Sony threw the ps4 together a little faster than they intended, not that the hardware or specs are bad I think it looks good. They probably had the prototype ready when XBox was building up to release a new console this year so they beat them to the punch, in turn options suffered, but sony has proven they have he ability to update their entire line of consoles to new features with existing hardware so it's probably only a matter of time..

I'm a little surprised the ps4 does not support 3d, but neither does the xbox one. Strange. Maybe its a hardware deal since both are so similar.

There was one weird flaw the ps3 had with 3d playback I think it was problems with a HD audio codec, for some reason it wouldn't bit stream it, instead PCMed it

The ps3 still has trouble with Vudu audio but for the other apps it was no problem, we regularly use the ps3 to watch netflix and amazon because the interface is easier to use and looks better.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:35 PM

Just spent the day with a XBob One. Man... both previous gens did more, the hardware and specs look good, and the games looks great, controls are fine as well, but it isn't as good as a xbox 360/ps3 for so many other things like playing mp3 or reading discs with files on it. Can't even download vudu movies or the video sold though xbox live.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
Just spent the day with a XBob One. Man... both previous gens did more, the hardware and specs look good, and the games looks great, controls are fine as well, but it isn't as good as a xbox 360/ps3 for so many other things like playing mp3 or reading discs with files on it. Can't even download vudu movies or the video sold though xbox live.
Nope really, this new generation told us that the optical can have better performance,something that the PS3 specially never care about it.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:00 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Cat View Post
Nope really, this new generation told us that the optical can have better performance,something that the PS3 specially never care about it.
???
What are you talking about
????
Old 11-23-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
???
What are you talking about
????
I am talkin bout this:

http://games.highdefdigest.com/news/..._Formats/13172

good news for the optical users