Sony PS3 King of Netflix Viewership - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-05-2012, 02:29 AM
HDD Editor

Sony PS3 King of Netflix Viewership

A post on the PlayStation Blog revealed Netflix CEO Reed Hastings announcement of the PS3 as the dominant Netflix platform, "PS3 is our largest TV-connected platform in terms of Netflix viewing, and this year, at times, even surpassed the PC in hours of Netflix enjoyment to become our number one platform overall. PS3 is a natural fit for Netflix in terms of developing and first deploying our most advanced features. We can transparently update our application with new features on a daily basis, and through the free PlayStation Network, people around the world can sign up for Netflix directly from their PS3."

PlayStation.Blog
Old 12-05-2012, 09:42 AM

I dropped Netflix awhile ago but this does not surprise me.

I use my Amazon Prime video on my PS3 all the time.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:29 AM

Honestly, the Xbox 360 would be the dominant platform if it weren't for the fact that you can only access Netflix on the 360 only if you are a paid Gold subscriber. It's ridiculous. Nobody wants to pay for two subscriptions to just watch Netflix on their game console. Netfix should force Xbox to make it available on their free service for the fact that the Neflix subscribers are already paying a subscription for it. The only reason to pay for the Gold Membership on Xbox Live is so you can play games online. Microsoft should take a lesson from Sony on this one. Sony has their own Payed Membership service on their system, yet you don't have to be a subscriber to that service to view Netflix.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:58 AM

Just about the only thing I've ever used my PS3 for are BluRays and Netflix. I hardly ever game on it.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHulk View Post
Just about the only thing I've ever used my PS3 for are BluRays and Netflix. I hardly ever game on it.
i was the same until i gave their Plus thing a chance and damn...the amount of free games they offer...now i'm always scouring the PS store looking for new games. sure some are terrible and its more often than not downloadable titles but they offer full games too now and again.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Devil View Post
Honestly, the Xbox 360 would be the dominant platform if it weren't for the fact that you can only access Netflix on the 360 only if you are a paid Gold subscriber. It's ridiculous. Nobody wants to pay for two subscriptions to just watch Netflix on their game console. Netfix should force Xbox to make it available on their free service for the fact that the Neflix subscribers are already paying a subscription for it. The only reason to pay for the Gold Membership on Xbox Live is so you can play games online. Microsoft should take a lesson from Sony on this one. Sony has their own Payed Membership service on their system, yet you don't have to be a subscriber to that service to view Netflix.
While I totally agree that it's silly that you have to pay for Gold to use Netflix, I must say that the PS3 is a much better Netflix experience. It dynamically changes PQ (if bandwidth dips) instead of interrupting your show to rebuffer.

I'm glad that I was forced to use the PS3 for that reason.

Now if only my PS3 could be controlled by my Harmony without having to drop $50 to do so.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:21 PM

I think the interface on PS3 is better than the 360s. Sure, the 360 is flashy, but it's a pain.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 PM

Makes sense though. The ps3 is more of a multimedia machine than a game machine. 360 is more of a pure game machine.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
Makes sense though. The ps3 is more of a multimedia machine than a game machine. 360 is more of a pure game machine.
It makes even more sense in that the PS3 can't see files above 4GB so using it as a media player for your own ripped movies is out (unless you don't care about quality). So no surprise that PS3 owners turn to Netflix.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanzBorin View Post
While I totally agree that it's silly that you have to pay for Gold to use Netflix, I must say that the PS3 is a much better Netflix experience. It dynamically changes PQ (if bandwidth dips) instead of interrupting your show to rebuffer.

I'm glad that I was forced to use the PS3 for that reason.

Now if only my PS3 could be controlled by my Harmony without having to drop $50 to do so.
Have you considered buying a $10 Nyko Bluwave remote, learning the codes and using the Harmony in that manner? It does require using a USB port with the adapter.

Personally I like the Google TV Netflix app better than the PS3 app so I use it. For Hulu Plus and Amazon Instant Video, the PS3 is my favorite.