PS3 - Strange Aspect ratio on some dvds - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-23-2007, 11:10 AM

Default PS3 - Strange Aspect ratio on some dvds

I am having an odd problem, where some widescreen movies (sd dvds) are not sizing properly.

Some widescreen releases will show the black bars and look normal.

Other releases will show the black bars, but the picture will only show on half the screen. (I don't think I'm explaining it well so here is a picture)

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/4561/tvds9.jpg

I have the tv set to 16:9 but I have also tried it on "Just Scan" I was not having this issue on my standard dvd player. It only started happening on SOME SD dvds, but not all. BD looks fine.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodus View Post
I am having an odd problem, where some widescreen movies (sd dvds) are not sizing properly.

Some widescreen releases will show the black bars and look normal.

Other releases will show the black bars, but the picture will only show on half the screen. (I don't think I'm explaining it well so here is a picture)

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/4561/tvds9.jpg

I have the tv set to 16:9 but I have also tried it on "Just Scan" I was not having this issue on my standard dvd player. It only started happening on SOME SD dvds, but not all. BD looks fine.
Have you tried messing with the upscalling features? I know that if you turn on upscalling, and leave it set to normal, that it won't render it fullscreen if the movie isn't 16:9. If it is a 16:9 movie then it should fullscreen it normally. Otherwise, you could set it to fullscreen by default, which will give you a loss of PQ.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:30 PM

I put in Alias Season 4 last night. with the default settings the menu appeared in 4:3 w/ black bars on the sides, but the show itself was in the 16:9. I messed with the upscaling options like Godstar mentioned changed the upscaling to full screen. it stretched the menu to fill the screen. Then i tried putting the disc in my 360 add on. same issue, but no option to stretch the menu. interesting.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megasquidd View Post
I put in Alias Season 4 last night. with the default settings the menu appeared in 4:3 w/ black bars on the sides, but the show itself was in the 16:9. I messed with the upscaling options like Godstar mentioned changed the upscaling to full screen. it stretched the menu to fill the screen. Then i tried putting the disc in my 360 add on. same issue, but no option to stretch the menu. interesting.
The thing with the upscalling is that if the image is natively 4:6 AR, stretching it reduces the image quality, so it in a sense ruins the naturaly intended quality of the original picture. The reason it doesn't stretch it on the 360 and the PS3, is because it was never intended to be 16:9. Had they made the menu that way, it would have been viewed in fullscreen. However, you can view it into 16:9 fullscreen on the PS3 by forcing it. However, it will stretch the image, thus making things appear wider and fatter than they were intended. I tend to stick with the 4:6 ratio on games and movies that were designed that way, since you do get a better picture. If you leave it to normal on the screen size setting, it will fullscreen it if the movie/game supports it, otherwise it will leave it alone. I watch alot of anime in 4:6 which just look awful in 16:9 after being upscalled. Depends on what you're looking for I suppose.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:29 PM

i don't get it though, it says widescreen right on the box! no need to stretch it.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodus View Post
i don't get it though, it says widescreen right on the box! no need to stretch it.
It could be something wrong with either the disk or the PS3 detecting fullscreen mode. If that's the case, then just set it to fullscreen.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:53 PM

dvd upscaler set to fullscreen should work like said.