Unable to hear anything using PS3 Optical Connector to watch Star Wars blu Dolby6.1 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-15-2012, 01:10 PM

Unable to hear anything using PS3 Optical Connector to watch Star Wars blu Dolby6.1

Hello everyone, I am a newbie to this forum and just getting my feet wet with DIY troubleshoothing.

The Setup in question:
--PS3 (fat)
--Blu-Ray disc Star Wars
-- Turtle Beach Wireless Headphones

The PS3 is connected to the TV directly using the HDMI Connector for Video
The PS3 Audio output is set to Optical Digital
I dont remember exactly what audio formats I have selected.

Description of the Problem
When I connect a pair of wireless headphones to the PS3 using the Optical Digital connector, I dont not hear the audio from the Blu-ray movie. I do however hear the audio till the movie menu (which I am guessing is in Dolby 5.1. But the main movie track audio is in Dolby 6.1 (Leave it to Lucas to add frustrating permutations)

I would like to know what options do I have to resolve this. The very least I would like to get stereo audio so I can watch the movie using the headphones so as not to wake up the rest of the family.

I thank you for your time to read this and any help you may offer. :-)
Old 05-16-2012, 10:44 AM

Have you tried setting the audio to PCM on the PS3?

That may work, any situation in the past I have experienced issues like the one you have described, I would default the audio to PCM.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:55 AM

Thanks, I will select Linear PCM as the output and give this a try tonight.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsfindout View Post
Thanks, I will select Linear PCM as the output and give this a try tonight.
Cool, let me know if it works. I will be interested to hear if it does.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:43 PM

Thank you Thank you Thank you Mr. JSmith. Changing the Optical Digital output types to accept Linear PCM worked.
I also made sure to disable all the dolby digital options in the sound settings in PS3. I was able to hear the blu-ray audio and very little track was lost. I am not familiar with the intricate details of Linear PCM but I was pleasantly surprised to hear surround sound effects.

Thank you again.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:44 PM

PS. Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread, I was hard pressed to find time to sit and troubleshoot during week nights. Thank havens for the weekend. :-)
Old 05-20-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsfindout View Post
Thank you Thank you Thank you Mr. JSmith. Changing the Optical Digital output types to accept Linear PCM worked.
I also made sure to disable all the dolby digital options in the sound settings in PS3. I was able to hear the blu-ray audio and very little track was lost. I am not familiar with the intricate details of Linear PCM but I was pleasantly surprised to hear surround sound effects.

Thank you again.
You are certainly welcome.

It seems as though the headphones you have are stereo headphones, which is certainly normal. (you can get Dolby Digital headphones though.) Dolby Digital decoders are only incorporated for 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 surround amplifiers. You would only need 2 channels. PCM will be required for this.

PCM is the standard, it is used for CD audio as well as DVD and Blu-Ray. If you are connecting a Blu-Ray or DVD player digitally to a 2 channel device, set the output to PCM.

Im glad I could help. I hope you enjoyed the movie.

Last edited by JSmith; 05-20-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:31 PM

donnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne