Help my friend troubleshoot his PS3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-16-2007, 11:01 AM

Default Help my friend troubleshoot his PS3

So my friend shot me an email yesterday. I suggested that he wait for a price drop to purchase a PS3 and told him there was one expected @ E3, and about 3 days later they announced the price drop so he bought one.

I will copy and paste his email, please if anyone can help him it would be most appreciated.

"Well... I did it. I bought the PS3. It's pretty cool. Would get a lot more of my admiration if I could figure out why it won't see my computer for the music stored on it. It's supposed to be able to connect to a "DNLA" media server. Which Window Media Player 11 is supposed to be apparently. I turned on the sharing. The PS3 sees it.. but, won't connect. I turned off my firewall, temporarily, and it still won't connect. Playing music and movies is probably going to be this thing's main function. So, that's why I've been trying so hard. Oh... and it sees the folders on an external drive, but, doesn't see the music files for some reason. May have to leave my aging living room computer in there. I really had hoped to take it out of the rack. I've been crawling all over Sony's website to try and troubleshoot this. And I think I'm about done for today. Four hours is enough setup time. That did include all this "troubleshooting", playing a little, and moving stuff around in the rack. Took out the PS2 and the DVD player and other re-arranging. "
Old 07-16-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
So my friend shot me an email yesterday. I suggested that he wait for a price drop to purchase a PS3 and told him there was one expected @ E3, and about 3 days later they announced the price drop so he bought one.

I will copy and paste his email, please if anyone can help him it would be most appreciated.

"Well... I did it. I bought the PS3. It's pretty cool. Would get a lot more of my admiration if I could figure out why it won't see my computer for the music stored on it. It's supposed to be able to connect to a "DNLA" media server. Which Window Media Player 11 is supposed to be apparently. I turned on the sharing. The PS3 sees it.. but, won't connect. I turned off my firewall, temporarily, and it still won't connect. Playing music and movies is probably going to be this thing's main function. So, that's why I've been trying so hard. Oh... and it sees the folders on an external drive, but, doesn't see the music files for some reason. May have to leave my aging living room computer in there. I really had hoped to take it out of the rack. I've been crawling all over Sony's website to try and troubleshoot this. And I think I'm about done for today. Four hours is enough setup time. That did include all this "troubleshooting", playing a little, and moving stuff around in the rack. Took out the PS2 and the DVD player and other re-arranging. "
1.) He has to set media sharing on the PS3 to "on".
2.) Goto Windows Media Player and goto the options and set what folders you want to share. If he's done that, he should be able to see it from other computers as wel that have WMP 11. I'm not going to go through all the menu's, but it's not hard to figure out.
3.) He should now try to search for a media server using the PS3. There weren't any firewall issues I encountered, but I did some research on the web and forwarded the same ports as recommended for the 360.
4.) If you get to this step, your guess is as good as mine.

Last edited by Godstar; 07-16-2007 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:12 PM

TY Godstar, I will forward this info to him and let you know how it turns out.