black screen when the hdd is in? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-10-2011, 10:16 PM

Default black screen when the hdd is in?

hello

about a month ago i got "Hard Disk Is Corrupt And Will Be Restored" error.
restoring didn't solve the problem, so i disconnected the hdd from the ps3 and connected it to my computer (using sata cable) and i formated it (to in NTFS in the beginning then to FAT32 using a program), then i put it back in my ps3. it was read and reformated by the ps3 and then i downloaded ps3 firmware from the internet , put it on a usb memory and connected it to the ps3 and installed the firmware .. for some reason it failed a few times (at 30-50%), but in the end it succeeded ..
so my ps3 got back to normal for about a week and then is suddenly it stopped working properly..
when i turn it on, i get green light and thats all (the fan works fine) .. black screen and no sound.. i tried resetting the video setting but it didn't help .. i tried going to recovery , i got that double beep , but the screen is still black ..
i had an idea that it might be the hdd again , so i pulled it out and turned the ps3 on.. well , it worked, and it told me that the hdd is missing ..
i tried connecting the hdd to my pc again to reformat it , but now my pc hangs at "detecting IDE drives" for few minutes and then it boots normally but it doesn't detect the ps3's hdd at all , not even in bios.. by the way, the hdd DOES spin..
so, is my hdd dead ? why does my pc hangs when its connected, and my ps3 wont start (i guess it hangs at the same level as well but there is no way to tell)? will buying a new 1 solve my ps3's issue ? (i just don't wanna buy a new hdd just to discover that the ps3 itself is bad , not the hdd)

note: i don't have anyone around that has a ps3 (so i can try formatting my hdd using their ps3)

any help would be appreciated
thanks