PS3 Audio - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-09-2007, 01:54 PM

Default PS3 Audio

Since the PS3 doesn't have analogues, I figured I should as this so I know what to expect if I wanted to get the console. The best connection I have is a optical and I'm not about to upgrade my receiver any time soon. If a disc and/or game has PCM, then what's the best output possible? Would that get downsampled to stereo to go over optical? Maybe the Xbox is spoiling me because I don't have to think about which audio track to play, it just encodes it to DTS which is the best possible over optical and I'm off running.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:11 PM

I use optical, on my receiver PCM downgrade's to stereo. In the movie I watched I just opted for the 5.1 track instead.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aodh View Post
Since the PS3 doesn't have analogues, I figured I should as this so I know what to expect if I wanted to get the console. The best connection I have is a optical and I'm not about to upgrade my receiver any time soon. If a disc and/or game has PCM, then what's the best output possible? Would that get downsampled to stereo to go over optical? Maybe the Xbox is spoiling me because I don't have to think about which audio track to play, it just encodes it to DTS which is the best possible over optical and I'm off running.
Hi Aodh -

Yes, with digital optical the PCM tracks on blu-ray discs will be down mixed to 2 channel stereo - there's just not enough bandwidth to support multi-channel PCM. But the Dolby & DTS audio will output as multi-channel. The DTS audio on Fox & Lionsgate titles sound fine on optical.

But I couldn't handle on 2 channel stereo PCM and upgraded to an HDMI receiver.

Also, the PS3 uses Bluetooth for remote control, so IR universal remotes won't work with it. If you watch many movies, it's well worth it to get the $25 DVD style remote control accessory.

Last edited by Cochise; 07-09-2007 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:23 PM

Just make sure you set the PS3 optical output to Bitstream. I didn't the first few months I had mine, and felt like an idiot when I found out I had it set wrong and heard how much better it was. Since then I've gotten an HDMI receiver, but I just figured I could help someone not make the same mistake I did with the actual PS3 settings.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 View Post
Just make sure you set the PS3 optical output to Bitstream.
Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check that out.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Also, the PS3 uses IR for remote control, so universal remotes won't work with it. If you watch many movies, it's well worth it to get the $25 DVD style remote control accessory.
bluetooth. just to avoid any confusion.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonshu View Post
bluetooth. just to avoid any confusion.
Duh!

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 View Post
Just make sure you set the PS3 optical output to Bitstream. I didn't the first few months I had mine, and felt like an idiot when I found out I had it set wrong and heard how much better it was. Since then I've gotten an HDMI receiver, but I just figured I could help someone not make the same mistake I did with the actual PS3 settings.
Where is the set up menu option for setting the optical output to bit stream?

Last edited by Megasquidd; 07-09-2007 at 05:15 PM. Reason: for dumbness
Old 07-09-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Hi Aodh -

Yes, with digital optical the PCM tracks on blu-ray discs will be down mixed to 2 channel stereo - there's just not enough bandwidth to support multi-channel PCM. But the Dolby & DTS audio will output as multi-channel. The DTS audio on Fox & Lionsgate titles sound fine on optical.

But I couldn't handle on 2 channel stereo PCM and upgraded to an HDMI receiver.

Also, the PS3 uses Bluetooth for remote control, so IR universal remotes won't work with it. If you watch many movies, it's well worth it to get the $25 DVD style remote control accessory.
Another reason to wait then I guess. Most of the titles seem to have the good PCM then a shitty DD 640k track, which doesn't help me at all. I hope they look at what MS did here and get a software encoder built it so that you can at least get DTS 5.1 1.5mbps from the PCM tracks.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megasquidd View Post
Where is the set up menu option for setting the optical output to bit stream?
It's under the BD/DVD options near the very bottom.