PS3 Netflix Streaming Lockup - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-19-2010, 06:02 PM

Default PS3 Netflix Streaming Lockup

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing a lock up of their PS3 while using the new netflix streaming app. Basically sometimes when the PS3 is buffering up the video I can see the red progress increase, but then the progress suddenly hangs at about 30% of the entire bar. It stays there and never changes no matter how long I wait. During this time, the PS3 is unresponsive to any commands I may issue from the BD remote. The only thing I can do is eject a disc or turning off power from the front of the console. The only way I can recover is to cycle power on the PS3.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:27 PM

This probably won't be helpful but even with daily usage, I (thankfully) have yet to experience any PS3 problems whatsoever or loading issues with Netflix. Incorrect aspect ratios, various quality issues and lack of selection, on the other hand . . . .

"Lack of selection"? Yes, hence my opening caveat on how my experience may not be helpful: I'm a Netflix Canada user, still evaluating the service on my free trial. Therefore, there is a chance that the error, if it's not with your PS3, may only affect American customers.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this issue. More importantly, I hope you don't have a issue with your console. Good luck! :smile:

edit: A quick look on the internet shows some others having similar problems in the past 24-36 hours. Perhaps there is something going on with the Netflix servers. Did you guys have a software update (to 2.0) as well? Perhaps updating/not updating -- depending on who is experiencing the issue -- is the key, akin to the latest PS3 firmware botching up a handful of BDs.

edit 2: I will say this: navigation is slower, though this could be a combination of small sample size and various niggling factors such me simply remembering wrong.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:58 AM

I just installed the Netflix app yesterday and so far I am not liking it. The menu system is basic and could be functional but besides the mentioned lockups and slow navigation I am also having a problem with slow/stuttering playback on some movies, while others play smoothly. The biggest problem I am having is that the menu's keep overlapping and nothing will play. Meaning that as I scroll from menu to menu the previous menu will still be on the screen overlapping then next one. The only way to get it back to normal is to shut down the app and restart. Anybody else having that problem?
Old 10-20-2010, 12:47 PM

No overlapping menus on my end but searching for movies is hit-or-miss. The results are popping up instantly at times, 20-30 seconds later on others.

I think they need to improve their code quite a bit.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:18 PM

I think it was an issue on their end since they are down currently.