No lossless Audio output on PS3 with 3D blu-ray playback - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-21-2010, 09:47 AM

Default No lossless Audio output on PS3 with 3D blu-ray playback

from Blu-ray.com

Quote:
As announced last week (see Blu-ray.com, September 16), new firmware version 3.50 is now available for the PlayStation 3, which enables support for the Blu-ray 3D specification on all incarnations of the PS3 console. However, Sony Computer Entertainment has confirmed that DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD won't be supported on the PS3 during 3D Blu-ray playback.

Thus, when playing back a 3D BD with a DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack, the PS3 will output DTS. When playing back a 3D BD with a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack, the PS3 will output Dolby Digital. This affects both PCM output and bitstreaming (available on slim consoles only).

As previously reported (see Blu-ray.com, September 14), BD-Java on the PS3 is also limited when playing back 3D BD content.

Joshua Wingfield, Blu-ray.com news contributor and moderator of the 3D subforum, posted an early hands-on report and informed: "I can confirm that with the Ps3 3.50 firmware update it only puts the audio out as DTS standard (lossy) in the bitstream mode. Also the menus on Coraline are flattened to 2D. Subtitles still show up in 3D mode, and so do menus. The image just flattens. Standard DTS is output by bitstream and linear PCM works as well but it still shows it as lossy DTS in the info bar on the PS3. So for now 3D on the PS3...full 1080p to each eye, but no HD audio and no 3D on menu screens or pop up menus. Can't say I'm disappointed. The update was free and the speed on the PS3 doesn't seem to be affected."
I think this is BS, there is no incentive for me to watch 3D bluray on the PS3 if this is true as Lossless Audio > 3D Video IMHO. I'm rather surprised too. I remember all the hype about the power of CELL processor when the PS3 was coming out, and now it turns out it doesn't have the MIPS to do 3D bluray and Lossless audio at the same time??? Or could Sony be intentionally not supporting lossless audio with 3D bluray playback?? Hmm.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Can't say I'm disappointed.
Really?

I can understand no HD audio decoding, but why not bitstreaming? Aren't you just passing along the same 1's and 0's as the disc presents?
Old 09-21-2010, 03:40 PM

Wow, what a joke. LOL
Old 09-23-2010, 02:47 PM

What about linear PCM? I know it's a looooong strech but, if a studio decided to release a 3D BD with a PCM 5.1 or 7.1 soundtrack, what then? Would it be made onto lossy Dolby or DTS at least?
Old 09-24-2010, 04:24 PM

If i'm not mistaken, aren't/weren't discs with PCM required to have DD/DTS also as receivers weren't all able to "process" PCM?
Old 09-25-2010, 12:26 AM

Wow! The format has obsoleted its first born! I'm not sure why they bothered adding the support for 3D in the first place. They should have done a hardware refresh and done it right. (assuming that was practical or possible)
Old 09-25-2010, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfocussvt View Post
If i'm not mistaken, aren't/weren't discs with PCM required to have DD/DTS also as receivers weren't all able to "process" PCM?
PCM isn't decoded..is the final step before being sent to your speakers. There's nothing left to decode.