PS3 + yellow dog linux - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-29-2007, 01:37 PM

Default PS3 + yellow dog linux

Has anyone seen the guides and you tube videos? Is anyone running this?
The only reason I would want this is to boot up into linux, so that it could access my webserver and stream avi files.

If only the ps3 OS could play .divx / xvid.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodus View Post
Has anyone seen the guides and you tube videos? Is anyone running this?
The only reason I would want this is to boot up into linux, so that it could access my webserver and stream avi files.

If only the ps3 OS could play .divx / xvid.
I'm in the same position. I think either Bluemoon, RedRedSuit or illegalprelude has, send them a PM and they'll tell you. I'm not sure what the media capabilities of the Linux install are, but I'm curious as well and haven't gotten around to re-formatting my drive and installing it yet (might do it soon), but like you, i'd want to know whether you can play .avi files.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:45 AM

Hey Godstar,

So I still haven't bothered with Linux yet.

However, check out this application, I have it up and running. The quality isn't great, but its alright.

I cannot post links yet cause I'm under 10 posts, but search google for an app called tversity.

Edit.. this is my 10th post so see the post below for instructions.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:50 AM

Here is a guide I found.

What you need

1. Tversity http://download.tversity.com/Setup_0_9_10_2.exe
2. Tversity PS3 Patch http://download.tversity.com/SonyPS3-180PatchV2.zip
3. FFdshow version 802 http://www.afterdawn.com/software/vi..._802__20070120

Instructions

1. Install Tversity 0.9.10.2
2. Apply the Tversity PS3 patch
Quote:
To apply it please follow the steps below:

* Make sure you have TVersity version 0.9.10.2 installed, otherwise install it. Please note that this patch cannot be applied on top of older versions and is designed for 0.9.10.2 ONLY.
* Stop media sharing in TVersity (via the advanced menu or the tray icon)
* Unzip the patch file and copy its content over to the TVersity installation folder (by default it is \Program Files\TVersity\Media Server)
* Start sharing and try accessing your audio, video and photos from the PS3

3. Install FFDshow revision 802 ( uninstall any old versions before installing this )

Once you have done all the above, goto your windows firewall and in exceptions allow Mediaserver.exe ( you can find it at C:\Program Files\TVersity\Media Server\MediaServer.exe ) You may need to allow Tversity also, if it allready hasnt been added automatically.

Ok now that everythings installed and the firewall is sorted its time to try some streaming.

1. Load up Tversity
2. Goto Start/All Programs/ Tversity Media Server/ Tversity Tools/ Start Tversity Media Server. ( This may be done automatically but I always do it manually to make sure the server side bit is running )
3. Add your folders/Files via the Sharing Tab and The Green + Icon.
4. On the Settings Tab Choose the Transcoder option on the left and setup your connection speed ( wired or wireless ) and screen resolution ( I set my Reso to 1920 x 1080 lol )
5. Scroll to bottom of the page and Save your config you have setup.
6. Do the Search for servers on your PS3 and it should now find Tversity server and from there you all know how to play your videos etc.

Last edited by exodus; 07-09-2007 at 11:13 AM.