Importing Blu-Rays and DVDs to PS3(I'm so not tech savy) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-13-2010, 01:25 PM

Default Importing Blu-Rays and DVDs to PS3(I'm so not tech savy)

Forgive me for a possiblie repeat question here, but I am not a computer person at all. Basically my computer use is limited to browing the net and transfering music from my Ipod.

I have a PS3 slim and an external 320gb Hard drive. Is it possible to simply put a Blu Ray Disc into my PS3 and directly import/download it onto my PS3.

I don't have a computer with a Blu-Ray drive and my laptop's DVD drive also is not working either....so ripping and then burning from a CD is not an option at this point.

So my question is, "Is it possible to use ONLY my PS3, and Blu Ray movie and the external Hard drive to import/copy the movie to my PS3?"

If so, can someone be kind enough to give step-by-step instructions to a tech dummy?

Thank you!
Old 05-13-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease1739 View Post
So my question is, "Is it possible to use ONLY my PS3, and Blu Ray movie and the external Hard drive to import/copy the movie to my PS3?"
No. The copy protection on blu-rays would prevent the PS3 from copying ("importing") the disc contents to a hard drive. And it's kind of hard to imagine why you would want to do this except for illegal reasons, such as not owning the disc your trying to copy, because it's simple enough to to put the disc in the PS3 and play the movie from the disc.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:20 PM

u need a computer with a DB drive and software that will bypass the copy right protection. either way, i think it's easier to buy the BD. a 320GB hard drive won't hold a lot of movies. a bluray is usually 25-50GB.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease1739 View Post
Forgive me for a possiblie repeat question here, but I am not a computer person at all. Basically my computer use is limited to browing the net and transfering music from my Ipod.

I have a PS3 slim and an external 320gb Hard drive. Is it possible to simply put a Blu Ray Disc into my PS3 and directly import/download it onto my PS3.

I don't have a computer with a Blu-Ray drive and my laptop's DVD drive also is not working either....so ripping and then burning from a CD is not an option at this point.

If so, can someone be kind enough to give step-by-step instructions to a tech dummy?

Thank you!
FYI, you can buy a USB external DVD burner at any store like Best Buy for around $70.