Sony Signs Major HD Deals for PlayStation Network - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-09-2010, 02:53 PM

Default Sony Signs Major HD Deals for PlayStation Network

Sony Signs Major HD Deals for PlayStation Network

In the ongoing battle for content, Sony said Tuesday that it had locked in the five top studios to supply HD content to the PlayStation Network.

At launch, the content will be available in the U.S. only, with plans to launch soon in the U.K., France, Germany, and Spain, Sony said.

Sony claimed that "all" of the top studios now offer HD content via the PSN. The five studios announced Tuesday are: 20th Century Fox, Walt Disney Pictures, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Universal Pictures, and Warner Bros.

"Securing high definition content from these studios is another significant milestone further validating PlayStation Network as a complete entertainment network in the home. PlayStation Network is the first and only service to deliver high definition home entertainment from all six major studios, directly to consumers for download," said Peter Dille, senior vice president, marketing and PlayStation Network of Sony Computer Entertainment, in a statement.

The new titles include:
# 20th Century Fox: "Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian", "Jennifer's Body" and "Fantastic Mr. Fox" (on March 23)
# Walt Disney Pictures: Disney Pixar's "Up", Jerry Bruckheimer's "G-Force" and Disney's "Earth"
# Paramount Pictures: "Star Trek", "Paranormal Activity" and "Zoolander"
# Sony Pictures: "This Is It", "2012", "District 9" and "Zombieland"
# Universal: "Inglourious Basterds", "Couples Retreat" and "Public Enemies"
# Warner Bros. Digital Distribution: "The Hangover", "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" and "The Wizard of Oz"

Source: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2361130,00.asp
Old 03-14-2010, 09:02 PM

I was amazed to find that they had HD versions of Adam and Cold Souls to rent. They don't have bluray releases, I think Choke was there too.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:35 AM

It's good that they're making this available to PS3 owners, but I'm not paying $30 for a HD movie, and then have to download it as well.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:03 PM

Would be nice to see this available in Canada
Old 06-04-2010, 04:41 AM

I love Sony but they are retarded when it comes to movies on the Playstation Network. $19.99 to download an HD movie. Get that shit out of my face. Digital distribution is supposed to cut down on the costs for studios because there is no actual product to be made with discs, boxes, coverart, etc. so why the hell are downloads the same price as buying a physical copy? Talk to me when HD movie downloads are at a more reasonable price... you know like $9.99 at the max and give me a reason to choose downloading over buying the actual Blu-ray. Studios wonder why piracy is so rampant it is because of the nickel and dime shit like this.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:41 AM

I would be more likely to buy a "disc-only" used movie than a digital download. I can't imagine paying more for a movie I can only watch on one device.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:02 PM

This is exactly why I've dropped renting any movies off of Xbox since their change to Zune. I absolutely love the PS3 for renting new releases. Their 720P looks absolutely great on my 84" screen and even the SD content like "House" and "Glee" look better than when viewing on cable.