PS3 and Basic Instinct Blu-ray...WTF? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-04-2010, 03:46 PM

Default PS3 and Basic Instinct Blu-ray...WTF?

I just got a pristine like new copy of Basic Instinctbbblu and put it in my PS3 to watch and it does not even recognize a disc has been inserted.

I put the disc in the other Blu-ray players in my house and it is recognized and plays, but the PS3 just doesn't recognize it.

I have put other discs into the PS3 and they play just fine. Anyone have any idea what could be going on here?
Old 03-04-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooLounge View Post
I just got a pristine like new copy of Basic Instinctbbblu and put it in my PS3 to watch and it does not even recognize a disc has been inserted.

I put the disc in the other Blu-ray players in my house and it is recognized and plays, but the PS3 just doesn't recognize it.

I have put other discs into the PS3 and they play just fine. Anyone have any idea what could be going on here?
I just bought this from Amazon. I'll check tonight and report back. So, even when you go to videos you don't see anything under BD-MV?
Old 03-04-2010, 05:49 PM

^ Correct. It is as if there is no disc in the machine.

I just finished watching The Quick and the Dead on the ps3 and I put in a couple of other random discs and they all worked.

I also put Basic Instinct into my BH200, which recognized it, but could not play it because I keep my BH200 set on Region B (since I use the ps3 for region A).

I put it in a Region A Sherwood and it recognized/played it as well.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:56 PM

Ok, after leaving the disc in for over 5 minutes of nothing, I finally just started scrolling through all the menus out of boredom and it randomly recognized the disc and gave me the following error message:

This video cannot be played.
(80029940)

Seems I got a bad disc I suppose.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:14 PM

This happened to me on a Hunt for Red October disc a couple of years ago. Worked in another player but not my PS3. Took it back, got another that worked fine. Bad disc.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:03 AM

My copy used to play in my PS3. But I tried it last night and it gets stuck on the trailers for The Descent and Saw III. They skip and it hangs up trying to get to the next title. I have the latest firmware. I checked the disc surface and it cleaned it multiple times and can find no flaws. Other discs play fine.

The annoying thing is that the blu ray locks you out from manually selecting to jump to a title while these opening videos are playing. As I said, it used to play. So I can only think that something bad happened with a newer piece of firmware for the PS3.