PS3 Operating System Slims Down New Features Could Come Soon - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-24-2010, 02:48 PM

Default PS3 Operating System Slims Down New Features Could Come Soon

PS3 Operating System Slims Down New Features Could Come Soon:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/23/70...s3-developers/
Old 02-25-2010, 11:17 AM

Isn't stating "that's half of what Xbox got" just plain wrong? PS3 has 512 MB and Xbox has 512 MB. It's split into two sections on PS3 while Xbox has the same amount in one section. While that may limit things like texture loading, it's still the same amount of memory. The Joystiq article does not make this mistake. A clarification is in order.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:01 PM

If what ZebraMajor says is correct, an update to the article *would* be nice. That's a huge take-away that a lot of people will be (potentially mistakenly) re-quoting throughout the day =(
Old 02-25-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji View Post
If what ZebraMajor says is correct, an update to the article *would* be nice. That's a huge take-away that a lot of people will be (potentially mistakenly) re-quoting throughout the day =(
I believe ZebraMajor is correct. Check this page. It's not been updated in a few years, but the memory configuration is unchanged (other parts are now inaccurate).

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...60_ps3_wii.asp

XBox has 512 meg system RAM, shared with the GPU.

Though I guess theoretically, if the Dashboard has a really small memory footprint, more than 256 meg can be used by the GPU. No where near double though.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:41 PM

I don't have access to the original article. According to the article here, it sounds like the upgrades for RAM usage reduction have already happened through recent system updates. Does this sound right or does the original article delve deeper into the actual update version numbers and dates?
Old 02-25-2010, 01:45 PM

I've often wondered why my late-'07 PS3 had only 512Mb RAM. It seems so chintzy, and even at introduction in late '06 memory wasn't prohibitively expensive. 1Gb would have been easily affordable and 2Gb not out of the question.

Initially, I had one and only one reason to buy it: it was by far the best choice and best value for playing Blu-ray movies at the time, so the specific architecture wasn't a concern. Then, I found out it plays games.

Too bad it doesn't have more breathing room in memory, but I'm certainly happy with the machine and it's nice to hear that Sony continues to optimize the OS.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerniaBay View Post
Shouldn't they be developing a brand new system with 3D standards rather than building on what they have already?
apparently the 3D capabilities will be added through firmware updates. of course if you don't own a 3D television then it wont really matter but yeah.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:21 PM

I really wish they would add PAL and 50Hz support for region free DVDs and Blus--it's a shame that a cheap $25 DVD player can play a region free PAL disc, but my $500 (at the time) PS3 can't!
Old 02-25-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle View Post
it's a shame that a cheap $25 DVD player can play a region free PAL disc, but my $500 (at the time) PS3 can't!
Hasn't this always been the case? I've had a couple expensive DVD players that played a fraction of what my cheap ass Phillips played
Old 02-25-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouseforaname View Post
Hasn't this always been the case? I've had a couple expensive DVD players that played a fraction of what my cheap ass Phillips played
this even affects blu-ray players. i have these cheap 50$ dvd players that can play all those PC formats like mpeg and such....well my fancy SONY blu-ray player cant even play those...talk about backwards. lol