On the fence about buying a PS3, need help... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-24-2010, 12:28 PM

Default On the fence about buying a PS3, need help...

I need help everyone, I have been going back and forth about getting a PS3. I have researched it and checked the HDD forums for help as well. I am considering the 120GB slim and upgrading the hard drive to 500GB.

The main reason I want to get it is for the BD live/wi-fi features and the hard drive to store my entire music collection on.

I currently have a panny bd30, onkyo-805 and a 500gb portable hard drive connected to my xbox360 for music files.

I would like to "condense" everything into the ps3 as a one stop shop, even though I would buy any new games for the xbox.

Would it be worth it considering what I have already? Or should I just wait and get a new 3D stand alone with dual hdmi ports (don't want new reciever)?

Also, can you copy files from an external device to the ps3's internal hard drive? Thanks everyone.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:49 AM

You can copy files from an external hard drive to your PS3.

Personally I don't like storing music or movies on my PS3's hard drive because if the PS3 has to be sent to Sony for repairs (most likely it will eventually) and they don't send you back the same unit, you're screwed. When you put that 500 gig hard drive into a different refurbished PS3, it will reformat the drive, erasing everything. The PS3's operating system gives you the option of backing up your PS3's hard drive, but again, I think you can only use the back-up with the original PS3. So if you send the PS3 to Sony for repairs and they give you a different unit, you're basically SOL. If you decide to store your music collection on a PS3, be sure to keep it backed-up on an external drive (not using the PS3's OS back-up function).

I store all of my music and movies on my I-mac (also have an external back-up) and stream it to my PS3 and xbox 360. That way I won't lose anything if my consoles fail.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneManShow View Post
You can copy files from an external hard drive to your PS3.

Personally I don't like storing music or movies on my PS3's hard drive because if the PS3 has to be sent to Sony for repairs (most likely it will eventually) and they don't send you back the same unit, you're screwed. When you put that 500 gig hard drive into a different refurbished PS3, it will reformat the drive, erasing everything. The PS3's operating system gives you the option of backing up your PS3's hard drive, but again, I think you can only use the back-up with the original PS3. So if you send the PS3 to Sony for repairs and they give you a different unit, you're basically SOL. If you decide to store your music collection on a PS3, be sure to keep it backed-up on an external drive (not using the PS3's OS back-up function).

I store all of my music and movies on my I-mac (also have an external back-up) and stream it to my PS3 and xbox 360. That way I won't lose anything if my consoles fail.
No, you can use the back-up feature from an old ps3 to a new ps3 without losing anything other than some of the game saves and any games you might have downloaded from the psn. When my ps3 died, I backed up everything to an external drive (the laser went, so I still had access to the xmb and everything else, it just wouldnt read discs). I went and bought a new Ps3 and copied everything from the back-up/external drive right over to the new ps3 with no problems. The only thing that sucks is that some game saves are tied to the unit, so they didn't transfer over, and the games that I had on the hard drive didn't transfer over, but you can redownload them free from the store again (up to 5 different times, I believe). I have about 30 or 40 gigs of music on mine, and they transferred right over to the new machine perfectly.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid View Post
The only thing that sucks is that some game saves are tied to the unit, so they didn't transfer over...
That's probably why I thought the back-up wouldn't work at all for a different PS3. Thanks for clarifying.

A note to the original poster, it's best to format any external drive FAT 32 so the PS3 can read it. I believe it won't read windows format NTFS. So if your current external drive format is NTFS (most likely), I don't think you'll be able to transfer your music collection to a PS3. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:01 PM

Thank you for the replies, my external hdd is formatted in FAT32 so I can use it with my 360. I think I am going to wait until it gets the 3D update and see how that goes. The more I think about it, I could hook up my existing external drive to a new stand alone player and save some some $$.

PS3 games do not have achievements like 360 games correct?
Old 02-26-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
Thank you for the replies, my external hdd is formatted in FAT32 so I can use it with my 360. I think I am going to wait until it gets the 3D update and see how that goes. The more I think about it, I could hook up my existing external drive to a new stand alone player and save some some $$.

PS3 games do not have achievements like 360 games correct?
They have 'trophies'. It's a bit different, but same idea. Instead of a flat number like 'my gamer score is 23,000", it would be 'I'm a level 9'. Each trophy you get adds to your level, and there are four levels of trophies - bronze, silver, gold and platinum, with the platinum trophy only given to you after you have achieved all the other trophies in the game. for multi-platform games, you will get the same trophies as you would achievements.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
I need help everyone, I have been going back and forth about getting a PS3. I have researched it and checked the HDD forums for help as well. I am considering the 120GB slim and upgrading the hard drive to 500GB.

The main reason I want to get it is for the BD live/wi-fi features and the hard drive to store my entire music collection on.

I currently have a panny bd30, onkyo-805 and a 500gb portable hard drive connected to my xbox360 for music files.

I would like to "condense" everything into the ps3 as a one stop shop, even though I would buy any new games for the xbox.

Would it be worth it considering what I have already? Or should I just wait and get a new 3D stand alone with dual hdmi ports (don't want new reciever)?

Also, can you copy files from an external device to the ps3's internal hard drive? Thanks everyone.
If you have a 360 and Tversity, just put all your music on a PC hard drive and stream it to your 360. You don't need a PS3 for that as they both can do it. You can get 1TB IDE drives that are cheap enough to put all your music on HD.