Latest Playstation Update Causing Blu-ray Problems - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-16-2010, 04:48 PM

Default Latest Playstation Update Causing Blu-ray Problems

Latest Playstation Update Causing Blu-ray Problems:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh..._Problems/4252
Old 02-16-2010, 05:46 PM

I have a first generation PS3 and I have been afraid to update my system since the 3.0 update. Everything I've researched is Sony is basically ignoring the problem and charging you high rates to repair the damage their required updates cause. I wish they would actually test these updates for bugs and backwards compatibility for the older machines. It sucks to not have access to the PS Store and online play just because I don't want to potentially damage my system. Anyone know of any solutions or know anything different?

I have the 60gb version that does play ps2 games and and has 4 usb ports on the front.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:55 PM

I have an 80 gig with 4 ports and no problems. I played both movies and games this past weekend without a hitch with the most recent update. However, I didn't play COD MW2 as the article mentioned. Mostly played Uncharted 2.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:56 PM

I have the original 60gb as well but have had no problems. Then again I haven't played mw2 online or anything like that. I rarely play ps3 games online at all actually, but the fact remains that I watch a ton of blu-ray and always update my firmware and never have a problem.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:23 PM

Sony sucks major ass. they really need to stop it with these firmware upgrades every 2 weeks & leave things as they are. I don't own a PS3 but my BDP-S300 got the same problem 2 days ago, it started freezing and then won't recognize a single disc thereafter. I did have to upgrade the firmware last month, no idea if that has something to do with it, but I read that it's a standard problem with the model. of course it will cost me about $200 or so to ship it to their repair center in texas & get it fixed, so I just picked up a brand new player for $128.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:31 PM

When was the latest firmware released? I'm pretty sure I downloaded it.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblove11 View Post
Sony sucks major ass. they really need to stop it with these firmware upgrades every 2 weeks & leave things as they are. I don't own a PS3 but my BDP-S300 got the same problem 2 days ago, it started freezing and then won't recognize a single disc thereafter. I did have to upgrade the firmware last month, no idea if that has something to do with it, but I read that it's a standard problem with the model. of course it will cost me about $200 or so to ship it to their repair center in texas & get it fixed, so I just picked up a brand new player for $128.
...And that's EXACTLY what they want you to do!
Old 02-16-2010, 07:01 PM

guess i'll avoid downloading this update til i here better news. although i think i did already. lol

i'm currently waiting for my new tv to arrive tomorrow so i can't check but yeah, 3.15 does sound familiar. so if i do have that one then i can say its all working fine for me as well. i have the original 80GB system.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:06 PM

I have to laugh every time I see reputable sites like HDD "reporting" FUD like this. They did it with the Firmware 3.0 FUD and again with this. And it does exactly what FUD is good for: scares people away from actually downloading the thing.

Again, for disclosure: I own a 60GB launch unit and watch a blu-ray movie or spend time gaming (some of which was MW2) virtually every night with this "problematic" firmware.

When did HDD turn into a blog for FUD?

Brandon
Old 02-16-2010, 07:11 PM

3.15 came out months ago. If I'm wrong, it's at the very least 1 full month old. I remember posting some of the details of the update when it came out.