High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   Blu-ray and Video Game Consoles (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-video-game-consoles-19/)
-   -   Thinking of buying a 40GB PS3...extended warranty: Yay or Nay? (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-video-game-consoles/37273-thinking-buying-40gb-ps3-extended-warranty-yay-nay.html)

Fragster 01-16-2008 04:08 PM

Thinking of buying a 40GB PS3...extended warranty: Yay or Nay?
 
After getting rid of my HD-A2+movies on EBay, Im putting that money towards a 40GB PS3 as soon as I receive my Sony CC (another $100 back) sometime this week.

Question on the extended warranty....yes or no? Over the last 5 years, I've never purchased any warranties for my electronics (Projector, AV, speakers, etc) and most of the time when the device did die, it'd be after 2-3 years by which most extended warranties expire anyway.

I know the early PS3 had some overheating issues (and so did the 360) but I guess the 40GB uses a newer chip that utilizes low power so I should be pretty safe, right? I mean I can use that same money towards a game or something.

The PS3 owners out there...how many of u did purchase the EW?

Thanks
Frag

cmdrdredd 01-16-2008 05:24 PM

I did just because it's renewable and you can walk right into the store and get a new one on the spot. Then buy a warranty for that system if you wish.

Bruuce 01-16-2008 06:05 PM

I know this is slightly off topic, but that is the first time I've heard of the early PS3's having overheating problems. I own the 20gb version and I have no problems with overheating. I think if the system is kept inside a entertainment center with no ventilation, you might have a problem.

Personally, I think the PS3 is a fantastically built piece of equipment. IMO, you could probably spend the money for the warranty on other things like movies or games.

cmdrdredd 01-16-2008 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruuce (Post 650927)
I know this is slightly off topic, but that is the first time I've heard of the early PS3's having overheating problems. I own the 20gb version and I have no problems with overheating. I think if the system is kept inside a entertainment center with no ventilation, you might have a problem.

Personally, I think the PS3 is a fantastically built piece of equipment. IMO, you could probably spend the money for the warranty on other things like movies or games.

It's not out of the realm of possibility to have something happen to the system.

Bruuce 01-16-2008 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmdrdredd (Post 651002)
It's not out of the realm of possibility to have something happen to the system.

Well nothing is ever brick-proof, as we all know. But the PS3 is a built really well, and I have only heard isolated incidents of PS3's faulting, unlike the Xbox 360. I stand by my words that the PS3 is built well and he probably doesn't need to buy an extended warranty. The only way I would buy one, is if I had kids, lived in an extreme climate, or had rough friends over all the time.

Fragster 01-16-2008 07:13 PM

Thx guys....i know this may sound retarded but I plan to use the PS3 for more movies than games so will this wear out the drive faster, since the PS3 is more of a gaming console?

Frag

Bruuce 01-16-2008 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fragster (Post 651141)
Thx guys....i know this may sound retarded but I plan to use the PS3 for more movies than games so will this wear out the drive faster, since the PS3 is more of a gaming console?

Frag

I have no idea if this will wear out the drive faster. I mainly use mine for movies as well with the very occasional game.

cmdrdredd 01-16-2008 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fragster (Post 651141)
Thx guys....i know this may sound retarded but I plan to use the PS3 for more movies than games so will this wear out the drive faster, since the PS3 is more of a gaming console?

Frag

Well, any optical drive with moving parts will wear out over time. Nobody can tell you when or how though.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:41 AM.