For music lovers with a PS3 and a sub-sat system. - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-16-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominica View Post
I have the Yamaha V661. I have used the Pure Direct feature since I bought it, found it by mistakes , since it turned off the video and left the audio. It makes the audio sound much better, I use it with SACD or DTS audio CD's on my PS3 and the Oppo for DVD-Audio. Works great with 2 Channel and 5.1 channel audio and no problems with my SUB. The feature even turns off the lights on the receiver and all you see is a Blue light.
Yes, I should add that when I am talking about using this "pure direct" mode with music on the PS3, I am specifically referring to playing a strictly 2-channel audio CD. If you're playing anything encoded with a 5.1 signal or even a 2.1 signal, then the sub will obviously stay on. My whole thing about this is that if you are playing a regular 2-channel CD and you are using a PS3 and the "pure direct" mode on any Yamaha receiver that is so equipped (or perhaps other receivers that are so equipped, such as a Marantz, perhaps), then the sub stays on even while you're in "pure direct" mode.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:46 AM

Here it is straight from Yamaha:

Quote:
Pure Direct is a special listening mode that provides the highest possible signal purity. It can be used for both analog and digital sources, with two-channel or multi-channel inputs. When it is selected, the signal follows the most direct path and power to the video circuit is shut down. Certain functions are not operational and even the display is turned off, lighting for only a few seconds when a function is used.
Even more:

Quote:
What is the difference between Pure Direct, Direct Stereo, and Straight Mode?
Pure Direct bypasses the unitsí decoders and DSP processors as well as shuts down the video circuitry, allowing for the highest possible audio fidelity from analog and PCM sources. Direct Stereo bypasses the unitsí decoders and DSP processors to allow for the highest possible audio fidelity from analog and PCM sources. Straight switches the sound fields off and bypasses the DSP processor.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:53 PM

Thanks, but I know that. What I have been trying to say over, and over, and over again, which doesn't seem to be getting through to most of the other posters (save "johnlt"), is that if you are listening to a 2-channel (i.e., "STEREO") signal and you are using a SUB-woofer & SATELLITE system, then if you have a receiver with a "Pure Direct" mode and you have the PS3 connected via HDMI, it looks like the output to the subwoofer will continue to go through. It probably has to do with the fact that the PS3 is also an SACD player and it outputs that signal over HDMI, and therefore the .1-subwoofer output continues to go through, even though if you are playing that same 2-channel Stereo CD on the BDP-S350 it cuts out the sub if you switch to the "Pure Direct" mode on the receiver. That's my guess.

For example, if you are watching a movie through the RXV-863 and you go to "Pure Direct," you would lose the picture, because the receiver shuts down video processing, but of course you still have the multi-channel audio. I'm just saying that in the case of the PS3 (I can't say for other SACD or DVD-Audio capable players), it appears that the multi-channel output stays on even for 2-channel stereo material. In other words, the LFE or .1 channel output remains active. Playing a CD on any other straight-up DVD, HD-DVD, or even Blu-ray player results in loss of the LFE (for me anyway) if you engage the "Pure Direct" mode, even if you are using HDMI. I'm thinking that this could be something unique to the PS3, or it could be something that any SACD player would do if it outputs multi-channel over HDMI or some other connection. I don't know, but I would appreciate the input if anyone has any information about that. Just curious.

Last edited by ErikBRak1m; 12-07-2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:40 PM

I actually am not a big fan of this. A SACD which is really 2 channel PCM should be played as just that. It appears that the PS3 relays this a multichannel PCM. This is a part of the PS3's sound settings. Turning off all multichannel PCM sources and leaving only the 2 channel PCM allows the PCM to send thru 2 channel sound. It would be great if there is a quick way of allowing to choose a 2 channel source quickly whicle playing a SACD instead of dicking around with the settings every time.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:39 PM

anyone know how to do this with a PS3 + Sony STR910 receiver?
Old 01-03-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyugi View Post
I actually am not a big fan of this. A SACD which is really 2 channel PCM should be played as just that. It appears that the PS3 relays this a multichannel PCM. This is a part of the PS3's sound settings. Turning off all multichannel PCM sources and leaving only the 2 channel PCM allows the PCM to send thru 2 channel sound. It would be great if there is a quick way of allowing to choose a 2 channel source quickly whicle playing a SACD instead of dicking around with the settings every time.
I can understand what you're saying, but as I mentioned all throughout these posts, for people who have a subwoofer & satellite system, this could be good, as the LFE remains active, while the amp sends a purer signal to the satellites. Otherwise, if you don't have either full-range speakers or beefy bookshelf models up front, then the music can sound rather thin when played this way using just the satellite speakers.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodus View Post
anyone know how to do this with a PS3 + Sony STR910 receiver?
Not sure about the 910, but for the 920, on both the remote and the front panel there is a button marked "2 CH./A. DIRECT," which is probably the same thing. Have a look and see if it's there on your receiver and remote. If your PS3 is hooked up via HDMI, I would imagine it will work. Let me know how it turns out.