High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   Blu-ray and Video Game Consoles (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-video-game-consoles-19/)
-   -   For music lovers with a PS3 and a sub-sat system. (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-video-game-consoles/71252-music-lovers-ps3-sub-sat-system.html)

ErikBRak1m 11-13-2008 11:29 PM

For music lovers with a PS3 and a sub-sat system.
 
I originally posted this in Home Theatre, which may have not been the right place for it. If anyone uses their PS3 to play CD's or SACD's and they have a "pure direct" or "music only" mode on their receiver, this may be of interest to you.

Attention music lovers!

I found out a little something the other day when I was farting around with my PS3 and the "Pure Direct" function on my Yamaha receiver (HTR-6180B/RXV-863).

Normally when you go to "pure direct" mode when you're using a sub-sat set-up, you of course lose the sub, and therefore most of your bass. However, I have come across something with the PS3 that actually makes me very happy. If you're listening to a CD and you put your receiver into "pure direct," the sub stays on and in effect. Nice! I've tried this with the new BDP-S350, the HD-A30, and a few other CD/DVD players, and no dice. If you go to "pure direct," you lose the sub and are left with the front right and left speakers only. Key thing, perhaps, is that I am connected to the receiver via HDMI. I haven't tried this with an optical cable; nor have I done this by using a old-fashioned hook-up via the speaker terminals on the back of the sub. I am using HDMI and an LFE output to the sub via RCA cable.

In case some of you haven't tried it, give it a shot. Let me know how it works out for you. pppps3

Arturo Lugo 11-14-2008 02:01 PM

Umm... what for?

Sorry I don't want to be rude, I play SACDs on my PS3, but what's the point of doing this? Listen at the subwoofer only?

adammagyar 11-14-2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arturo Lugo (Post 1278625)
Umm... what for?

Sorry I don't want to be rude, I play SACDs on my PS3, but what's the point of doing this? Listen at the subwoofer only?

what i think he's saying is that if you use it on the PS3 you can use your two speakers AND the subwoofer, but with other's you get just the two speakers. thats the important part

ErikBRak1m 11-15-2008 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adammagyar (Post 1278665)
what i think he's saying is that if you use it on the PS3 you can use your two speakers AND the subwoofer, but with other's you get just the two speakers. thats the important part

Amen, bro. That was it. :D

jcc 11-15-2008 11:41 AM

With my Onkyo 605, 2 channel audio always gets sent to the fronts plus sub. My fronts are full sized cabinet speakers with 12" woofers, and the powered sub is another 100W, so no worries about bass.

Still, I'll give "pure direct" a try.

Arturo Lugo 11-15-2008 04:59 PM

I have an old Kenwood and I'm using the optical out of the PS3, and I've always got 2-speaker stereo + subwoofer.

Even if I choose 2.0 PCM on a SACD, I still get a workout of the sub.


That's what I've come to expect from everything I play in stereo --and the sub is well-balanced and all, I mean, like the whole audio was made 2.1 from the beginning...

Mobe1969 11-15-2008 06:06 PM

Hmm, I have a 2.1 setup with an Onkyo receiver, and unless I go to bitstream (ie no lossless) I can't get anything out on the subwoofer. The PCM out over optical is all 2ch only, and I can't get my reciever to send anything 2ch to the sub.

ErikBRak1m 11-15-2008 09:08 PM

When I say "pure direct," especially on a Yamaha, I am referring to a special mode that turns off all video processing, DSP, and any other processing that could affect the signal of pure 2-channel audio. For Yamaha's, it evens turns the front display off. In a case like that, there is only 2-channel audio present and no subwoofer output (at least in my case). If everything is in normal mode and 2-channel audio is played, then of course the subwoofer stays on. A lot of the Yamahas have this "pure direct" mode, as does Marantz, and I think Pioneer Elite, too. Not sure about Denon. But anyway, my point is just that with the PS3 it seems to keep the LFE on even when the receiver is in "pure direct" mode. If you have full-range speakers as your right and left channels, then this doesn't affect you that much, but if you are using a subwoofer-satellite system, then it could.

dominica 11-15-2008 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErikBRak1m (Post 1280308)
When I say "pure direct," especially on a Yamaha, I am referring to a special mode that turns off all video processing, DSP, and any other processing that could affect the signal of pure 2-channel audio. For Yamaha's, it evens turns the front display off. In a case like that, there is only 2-channel audio present and no subwoofer output (at least in my case). If everything is in normal mode and 2-channel audio is played, then of course the subwoofer stays on. A lot of the Yamahas have this "pure direct" mode, as does Marantz, and I think Pioneer Elite, too. Not sure about Denon. But anyway, my point is just that with the PS3 it seems to keep the LFE on even when the receiver is in "pure direct" mode. If you have full-range speakers as your right and left channels, then this doesn't affect you that much, but if you are using a subwoofer-satellite system, then it could.

I have the Yamaha V661. I have used the Pure Direct feature since I bought it, found it by mistakes :), since it turned off the video and left the audio. It makes the audio sound much better, I use it with SACD or DTS audio CD's on my PS3 and the Oppo for DVD-Audio. Works great with 2 Channel and 5.1 channel audio and no problems with my SUB. The feature even turns off the lights on the receiver and all you see is a Blue light.:)

johnlt 11-16-2008 09:32 PM

I have a YAMAHA RX-V1800 and i know exactly what the OP is talking about.:)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:29 AM.