High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   Blu-ray and Video Game Consoles (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-video-game-consoles-19/)
-   -   Hdmi or Optical (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-video-game-consoles/116844-hdmi-optical.html)

lartomar2002 05-29-2011 04:57 AM

Hdmi or Optical

which should i use hdmi or optical or a combination of both. what video and audio settings for either. i have a Vizio 47" hdtv and a bose v25 lifestyle hts.

JSmith 05-29-2011 05:14 AM

Well HDMI covers both Video and Audio and optical covers audio only.

I wouldnt use optical at all if you want to connect your Blu-Ray player to a HD audio surround receiver. If you want HD surround from your Blu-Ray player, connect to your receiver using the HDMI and then from the receiver to your TV with HDMI.

If you want to connect your Blu-Ray player to an external DAC I would recommend using the SPDIF (Digital Coax) from the back of your Blu-Ray player.

If you have any other questions, just ask

lartomar2002 05-30-2011 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSmith (Post 2184023)
Well HDMI covers both Video and Audio and optical covers audio only.

I wouldnt use optical at all if you want to connect your Blu-Ray player to a HD audio surround receiver. If you want HD surround from your Blu-Ray player, connect to your receiver using the HDMI and then from the receiver to your TV with HDMI.

If you want to connect your Blu-Ray player to an external DAC I would recommend using the SPDIF (Digital Coax) from the back of your Blu-Ray player.

If you have any other questions, just ask

i'm sorry i forgot to add (Alzheimer) i am connecting a PS3 which is both a blu-rray player and a gaming console, though i'm sure you know that.

JSmith 05-30-2011 02:19 AM

Thats cool, its exactly the same deal. I personally wouldnt use optical for anything except in the event that your receiver or DAC runs out of HDMI or Digital Coax inputs.

Spader 05-31-2011 12:05 PM

You haven't said what console you are wanting to hook up.

If it is PS3 just go HDMI.

If it is 360 then go HDMI for video and optical for audio. There is an annoying bug with the 360 that means ~20% of the time the console will output stereo instead of 5.1 via HDMI. If you spot it you can correct this by going to the audio options and turning the sound out to stereo and then back to 5.1 but this gets old fast. You also can get audio drop outs via HDMI.

In short the 360 doesn't fully support audio over HDMI and they aren't bothering to fix this issue despite it being universal.

lartomar2002 05-31-2011 12:29 PM

khris2 10-31-2011 10:10 AM

Optical SPDIF is a pretty old standard. It won't let pass any high-def video, and the best audio will be stereo 24/96kHz (to add to JSmith above). Any audio above that will be downsampled, it won't work either with the new audio encodings like DTS-HD MA found on many Blu-ray discs. Go HDMI.

Silver_Cat 12-11-2011 12:58 AM

Question:

Its a lot audible the diference between HDMI vs Optical?

g_block 12-31-2011 07:54 PM

I just got a Bose Cinemate GS Series II (let save the flamebaiting for another discussion on how Bose sucks...) Should I use optical audio out from my TV or standard RCA Audio (the only two options on a Cinemate)?

suvyush 03-08-2012 02:28 PM

Should I use optical audio out from my TV or standard RCA Audio i too want to know about it?