Class Action Lawsuit Filed Over PS3 Failures - Page 8 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-14-2010, 07:51 PM

^Usually the case...surprisingly in a suit against Belkin, I was able to get a full refund for every product that contained false advertising (it was a poorly performing product as well with no firmware updates provided in years to address the product's deficits, so I didn't feel bad about cashing in).
Old 09-17-2010, 12:47 PM

I'm not sure what version of firmware my Playstation 3 has, i think i have the firmware directly before the Linux operating system was removed, the reason i haven't updated is because i have been using my Oppo and so my Playstation is sitting collecting dust, i was going to update it soon though, it's the 40 gigabyte drive version and an American model i imported a few years ago.

Just a thought but if something in the firmware causes this issue can Sony not release a further firmware update to fix the issue, obviously they will not want to admit a problem but i don't see why a future firmware update cannot fix issues if a firmware bug caused problems for some players.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:40 PM

If a firmware update bricks hardware, there would be no way at home to flash in the fixed firmware update.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
If a firmware update bricks hardware, there would be no way at home to flash in the fixed firmware update.
From what i have read though people are saying discs are not playing, i didn't read anywhere about all functions being unusable, maybe they are all bricked, but if you send to Sony how do they fix it. ?
Old 09-20-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post
From what i have read though people are saying discs are not playing, i didn't read anywhere about all functions being unusable, maybe they are all bricked, but if you send to Sony how do they fix it. ?

They most likely would open up the PS3 and connect directly to the hardware via some interface like JTAG or something Sony proprietary and burn the new software image into flash. This is one way electronics manufacturers get embedded software into their devices when fresh boards, with no software in them, come from manufacturing before mass production. This is also the way to restore bricked hardware back into a usable state. The other way would be to give the software image to the manufacturer of the flash chip and have them load the chips with the software before delivery, which is more suited for mass production.