'Devil Wears Prada' - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-12-2006, 01:31 AM
PeterB

Thumbs up 'Devil Wears Prada' - High-Def Digest review

Hung out with the 'Devil' tonight:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/devilwearsprada.html

Really fun, enjoyable movie. Great transfer. Good soundtrack. Fun extras. Thumbs up!!!!!
Old 12-13-2006, 01:30 PM

I got this in earlier in the week, but haven't even had a chance to unbox it. Been looking forward to it for a bit though since I missed it theatrically.

That said, I'm starting to wonder about some of the reviews in regards to the video side of things. Things that are obviously being done intentionally in the filming of the movie/post production are impacting the rating of the disc. Shouldn't these aspects that you don't like, how it was filmed, be in the actual movie review section? If the authoring of the disc is capturing the intent of the film as seen by people before and is (I hate this term) transparent to the master, then shouldn't the video rating be higher?

In essence, I want to know how well they did in authoring the disc in terms of video. Not how the filmmakers made it. Does that make sense? It just seems like the video section is not being kept "pure" in the sense that it should just focus on the transfer itself to the format but rather bringing in other things.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:31 PM

*loved* this movie and told myself I'd only buy it in High Def. I have a HD-DVD player so it looks like I'll have to wait longer unless I eventually invest in a Blu-Ray player.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Don't let the "chick flick" tag scare you a way -- 'The Devil Wears Prada' just may be the most fun you'll have on Blu-ray all season.
Well, my wife really wanted to see this but I held off thinking it would just be another chick flick. However, after reading your review I may have to back track and order it as a surprise for her (and a decent film night in for me!)
Old 01-16-2007, 11:41 AM

Very disapointed in the look of this film (notice how I'm not saying transfer because it may just be the style). It was overly soft imo.

From Peter's review I expected a very sharp picture. I found it so soft I could not make out typical details (like facial pores etc).

All other aspects of the disc were fine (movie was entertaining), but I would expect that an upconverted SD version would be indistinguishable.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:35 PM

The movie i thought looks great. not just a chick flick.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Founding Member

Very good movie. Personally thought the transfer was good but not outstanding