'Ong Bak: The Thai Warrior' is coming February 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-20-2010, 06:15 PM

Default 'Ong Bak: The Thai Warrior' is coming February 2

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2999/ongbak.html
Old 01-20-2010, 07:04 PM

wonder if Fox can do better with Asian cinema than wretched Disney.
Disney totally screwed up those 3 that they released at the same time a while back.
hope Fox does better.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:27 PM

Liked this one and have it on DVD. Stay away from the sequel/prequel.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:05 PM

Really liked this (and Chocolate) and will pick it up.

Ong Bak 2 is no good, though?
Old 01-20-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kghoops View Post
Liked this one and have it on DVD. Stay away from the sequel/prequel.
unless they made a typo, this IS the sequel.

though it seems they renamed it. last time i heard about this it was simply called Ong Bak 2....and i think some places had a "the beginning" subtitle instead of The Thai Warrior.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncy X View Post

though it seems they renamed it. last time i heard about this it was simply called Ong Bak 2....and i think some places had a "the beginning" subtitle instead of The Thai Warrior.
Amazon has this listed as "Ong Bak 2: The Beginning" for 2/2 so I will NOT be picking this one up. Had my hopes up that it was the first one.

http://www.amazon.com/Ong-Bak-Beginn...4047185&sr=8-1
Old 01-21-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncy X View Post

The first movie is 'The Thai Warrior' and the sequel never has been called that...but kghoops is right, the sequel is the only one listed at Amazon so far. The HDD announcement got my hopes up, but I guess it's wrong?
Old 01-21-2010, 09:58 AM

This is the first one being released by Fox on February 2. Apparently Magnolia is releasing the second one, which is actually a prequel so that's why there's some confusion, also on February 2.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:02 AM

According to this section of the press release I received:

LOS ANGELES, CA – (January 20, 2010) – When the head of his village’s sacred Buddha statue is stolen, simple country boy Ting (Tony Jaa) is sent to Bangkok to retrieve it in the martial arts symphony of flying limbs Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior debuting on Blu-ray Disc February 2 from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. It’s non-stop action as Ting infiltrates Bangkok’s seedy underworld and takes on a series of lowlifes and criminals in his quest to obtain the sacred head.

Featuring elaborate and eye-popping martial arts enhanced in high-definition all performed without the aid of stunt doubles, wires or computer graphic enhancements, Ong-Bak packs a punch that sets the new gold standard for hand-to-hand combat in action cinema. Written and directed by Prachya Pinkaew (Chocolate), Ong-Bak features Jaa (The Bodyguard) in an amazing performance that secures his reputation as one of cinema’s most incredible martial artists with action that rivals the awe-inspiring stunts found in acclaimed imports such as Hero and House Of Flying Daggers. Bursting with bonus features including a music video featuring Jaa, an instructional walk-through highlighting the movements of Muay Thai, behind the scenes stunt footage, a promotional spot featuring The RZA of The Wu-Tang Clan, and more, the Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior Blu-ray Disc will be available for the suggested retail price of $24.99 U.S.

Jaa’s jaw-dropping, gravity defying stunts continue in the prequel Ong Bak 2: The Beginning, arriving February 2 as a Collector’s Edition Blu-ray Disc and DVD from Magnolia Home Entertainment as part of the Six Shooter Film Series under the Magnet Releasing Label. Starring and co-directed by Jaa, the epic tale of revenge is set hundreds of years in the past and follows an orphaned boy, trained to be a killer and prophesized to conquer an empire. Including an alternate cut, cast interviews and more, the Ong Bak 2: The Beginning Collector’s Edition Blu-ray Disc and DVD will be available for the suggested retail prices of $34.98 and $29.98 respectively; and on standard DVD for $26.98.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:34 AM

I didn't like any of them. The great fights scenes can't save it. Not sure why because I love martial arts movies. This one sucked