What's the story with the James Bond Blu-Rays? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-05-2010, 08:25 AM

Default What's the story with the James Bond Blu-Rays?

Hey guys, new to the forum, but mostly just registered to ask this one question, although I may end up being more active in the future.

Anyways, I'm wondering what the deal is with the potential Bond Blu-Ray releases. I've been collecting them for a year or so now, and there hasn't been a release forever. I did a search on here, and Google, but couldn't find anything substantive.

Is there any word on when another batch is coming out? I'm getting quite anxious, and want to finish off my collection, lol. They released the first dozen or so pretty quickly.

Thanks for any insight.

- Zach
Old 01-05-2010, 09:00 AM

mgm is bankrupt.
the end.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:43 AM

That's not particularly helpful to a new member, Arkadin.

Zach6668, welcome to the forum. In answer to your question, MGM is in on the verge of bankruptcy, so is seeking a buyer. Until this situation is resolved, MGM isn't doing anything, including releasing new Blu-rays.

MGM currently has forbearance on its debt repayments, but a buyer needs to be found fast. Hopefully this will happen soon and MGM will be able to carry on as before, but who knows?
Old 01-05-2010, 09:51 AM

maybe Weinstein can step in /sarcasm

to the OP, I highly doubt that the remaining Bond won't happen on blu, but it's pure speculation as to when given MGMs current financial difficulty Jude explained above
Old 01-05-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
mgm is bankrupt.
the end.
That's terrible. Didn't even realize that myself and was waiting for the next batch. Hopefully things will get resolved soon... plenty more Bond on Blu I need to see!

I donated though and picked up a second copy of Never Say Never Again. Can never have to many versions of Thunderball.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:26 AM

I just want License to Kill, The Living Daylights, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, Octopussy, The Spy Who Loved Me, and Diamonds are Forever. If I can get those on BD I'll be happy with Bond since I have all the others already. I don't care at all about Never Say Never Again, A View to a Kill, and On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Banned

Regardless of MGMs issues, the classic Bonds won't hit BD again until the new Bond movie is about to or in Theaters. They will save the remaining 9 (?) until at least that point.

So a 2 years wait.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the very quick replies guys, I appreciate it.

I just found it odd that they stopped coming out. It also makes sense that they might want to wait until the next Bond movie comes out to release them.

Thanks again.

- Zach
Old 01-05-2010, 01:52 PM

What worries me Zach, is that after the MGM buyout, the Blu Rays will come out, only with different artwork (quite possible, if it's in a few years time).

Cannot stand it when you have films in your DVD racks, that don't match up on the spines.

Don't get me wrong, if it were to be original poster art, I'd happily buy them all over again.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
What worries me Zach, is that after the MGM buyout, the Blu Rays will come out, only with different artwork (quite possible, if it's in a few years time).

Cannot stand it when you have films in your DVD racks, that don't match up on the spines.

Don't get me wrong, if it were to be original poster art, I'd happily buy them all over again.
Bingo. Since Steelbooks for the line are dead, as are the Volumes, I'd hate to see the matching, very classy looking slip covers go away to.