'Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 3' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-21-2009, 01:12 PM

Default 'Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 3' - High-Def Digest Review

Josh has reviewed 'Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 3.' He says the show's third season was far from its best, but there are still a few good episodes here. This Blu-ray set is on par with the past BD season releases and highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2715/stos_s3.html
Old 12-21-2009, 04:25 PM

Season 3 TOS, was by far, the worse season of the original series for me too. I don't even know if I will pick this up on BD. Will probably just rent and watch the episodes that I liked.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:54 PM

Most of the season 3 episodes suck but I will buy this because I'm a completionist. I can't resist owning what is now the authoritative release of TOS.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:22 PM

I'll get this too, but I'm not in as much of a rush as I was with the first two seasons.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:26 PM

Considering season 3 started with Spock's Brain, uh, yeah... probably not the best of the series at all.

That said, the episode list is as follows: (episode links are to IMDB. Apologies in advance if that is not in keeping with preferences of HDD site rules, in which case mods please feel free to edit/delete this message as necessary).

Season 3, Episode 1: Spock's Brain
Episode 2: The Enterprise Incident (not too shabby).
Episode 3: The Paradise Syndrome
Episode 4: And the Children Shall Lead
Episode 5: Is There in Truth No Beauty?
Episode 6: Spectre of the Gun
Episode 7: Day of the Dove
Episode 8: For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Episode 9: The Tholian Web
Episode 10: Plato's Stepchildren
Episode 11: Wink of an Eye
Episode 12: The Empath
Episode 13: Elaan of Troyius
Episode 14: Whom Gods Destroy
Episode 15: Let That Be Your Last Battlefield
Episode 16: The Mark of Gideon
Episode 17: That Which Survives
Episode 18: The Lights of Zetar
Episode 19: Requiem for Methuselah
Episode 20: The Way to Eden
Episode 21: The Cloud Minders
Episode 22: The Savage Curtain (absolutely LAME!!!)
Episode 23: All Our Yesterdays
Episode 24: Turnabout Intruder

There's a few episodes in there that I like, including a couple that I really like. Spectre of the Gun is horribly cheesy, but I like it anyway. The Enterprise Incident is pretty good (at least for me), and a few others in the list are good enough to not make me feel stupid for buying the set.

The other reason I bought the set, besides being a bit of a completionist, was because it included the original pilot and the 'lost' re-worked pilot episodes.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Banned

For the die-hards, be aware that Josh's comments on "The Cage" are misleading; he says: "However, the restored full-color episode is slightly shorter. The "Extended Version" found here has a few additional scene extensions not found in the full-color version." This isn't altogether accurate--the only two variations in terms of footage between the restored full-color version and the earlier partial color/partial black-and-white edit are the former excises Pike's line "you were like a wild animal" in the picnic lunch scene as found in the latter and the latter is missing an extra (improperly placed?) insert shot of The Keeper exiting a Talosian turbolift that can be seen in the former. Outside of these blink-and-you'll-miss-'em shots, the two versions are (footage-wise) identical.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:49 PM

I have to say while I agree with the review that most of season three doesn't match up to the first two seasons, I do like some of the cheesier episodes if only because they are cheesy and fun to laugh at. I mean space hippies? Who doesn't love space hippies! And Spocks Brain should have been MST3K'd.

On a side note The Tholian Web is one of my all time favorites.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:06 AM

Cool 'Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 3' - High-Def Digest Review

@ Josh Zyber: The cloaking device was not introduced in the 'Enterprise Incident' episode of season 3, but in the 'Balance of Terror' episode of season 1.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:15 PM

Have enjoyed episodes on the first two discs. I enjoy "The Enterprise Incident", "Day of the Dove", "The Tholian Web" and "Plato's Stepchildren". Michael Dunn was excellent as Alexander.

Picture quality is on par with the prior releases and the sound is superb. Am working my way through this dueing the holidays.

Doug
Old 12-28-2009, 12:03 PM

This Mobile-Blu feature is awesome. Why dont other studios do this?