Sony Announces Fifth Element Remastered Exchange Program - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-16-2007, 04:58 AM

Default Sony Announces Fifth Element Remastered Exchange Program

From http://www.www.engadgethd.com/2007/0...ils-announced/
Quote:
Considering what a mythical reference title The Fifth Element was when released on DVD (and Superbit, and Laserdisc!), it was surprising to see it reviewed as just another softly-focused, dirty, and scratchy launch title for Blu-ray. Many reviewers and fans complained about the lackluster MPEG-2 encoding, and the general poor quality of the transfer. Sony has announced details and contact information about a plan to exchange the first -- now discontinued -- batch of Blu-ray Discs for the remastered edition, due to be released in July. The new version is a new 1080p transfer from a different master, and includes Dolby TrueHD as well as uncompressed PCM audio. It will also be encoded in MPEG-4 AVC, which will hopefully show off the improved compression of the newer codec. Quite an olive branch from Sony for those who have already picked it up, and a show of good steps toward making Blu-ray titles the best they can be. Now the question remains, how many of the other initial MPEG-2 Blu-ray titles will be remastered like this?
Thats cool of them as I just bought the old one with the Amazon buy two get one free deal.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:16 AM

i still thought the movie looked damn good but hey, if it can get better, count me in
Old 06-16-2007, 11:28 AM

Pretty funny that my local best buy uses the Fifth element on a blu ray display. It just sits there on the menu. Ive seen it a few times where they let the movie play but most of the time I catch the menu.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:12 PM

I thought the first one looked goodm, but hey, i guess i'll buy it this time around
Old 06-18-2007, 04:11 PM

Here's another link confiming it.

Glad I waited!!!
Old 06-18-2007, 04:26 PM

now time to go out and buy the old one cheap, then trade it in.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
i still thought the movie looked damn good but hey, if it can get better, count me in
I agree with you on this. It's good to see a company listen to its customers and then take action to fix the problem.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
Just curious but do you own this movie or have you just seen it on display somewhere, because there are parts that look pretty good, but if you start it from the beginning, it looks terrible.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:04 PM

Just called that number to get my fifth element exchanged... and i have 2 words for ya....

"BAD A$$!!!!!!"

THANKS SONY!
Old 06-18-2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resevilfan86 View Post
Just curious but do you own this movie or have you just seen it on display somewhere, because there are parts that look pretty good, but if you start it from the beginning, it looks terrible.
I own it. Now, ive always started the movie more or less from the time hes driving the cab and exnay the intro but everytime ive seen it, i dunno, it looks frakin sharp to me.