'Snatch' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-06-2009, 10:15 PM

Default 'Snatch' - High-Def Digest Review

Drew has reviewed 'Snatch.' He says this stylish film should still appeal to fans. This Blu-ray has mildly improved video and audio, the same supplements as the original DVD, and a couple of underwhelming HD exclusives. Overall, this is still recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2394/snatch.html
Old 12-06-2009, 10:19 PM

Just a guess, but this review may turn into a controversial one....

Good review though Drew.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 12-06-2009, 10:27 PM

I saw this on HBO HD a few months ago, the video was really washed out looking, I mean really washed out. superbits upconverted was more vibrant. I suspect the blu is better than the HD HBO, but i'm kinda surprised the video is mediocre.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:40 PM

I thought it was boring...I liked Rocknrolla and that other movie with almost exactly the same cast better.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post

Good review though Drew.
hahahaha yes i think it will too.

for me, i love the movie. love, love, love it. i think it's excellent and has one awesome ending to finish off awesome 1st and 2nd acts. i'm actually pretty surprised that it's 1)only got 3/5 for film itself and 2) got a "recommended" for its bottom line when only getting that for the film itself and a 3/5 for pq.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:13 PM

It makes sense that if you don't like Guy, you're not going to like Snatch, but it's a pretty great movie any way you slice it.

I've noticed that Snatch (and a few other of his movies) are much better upon second viewing due to the complexity of the plot and the hard to understand accents, making it hard to follow at first. So anyone that didn't like Snatch should definitely watch it again.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:14 PM

The review in many ways sums up Snatch very accurately, but just that the reviewer was not a fan of that mix of elements.

I actually love Snatch for all the reasons he stated as negatives. I love that Ritchie essentially directs London gangster comic book movies manically styled with heavy "borrowing" from Scorsese. He does it well. As the review notes, others have tried to imitate and failed miserably (see: Boondock Saints).
Old 12-06-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post

Good review though Drew.

If giving Transformers 2 a negative review is so controversial, that pretty much means giving any movie a negative review will be potentially controversial (not that negative a review in this case, but still).

I pretty much agree with this one-- my cousin loves the movie and insisted I watch it, and I thought it was passably entertaining and nothing more. As for the dig on Boondock Saints, I enjoy that one much more, but I always thought of it as a goofy comedy, not really a Tarantino-ish movie (whether that was intentional or not).
Old 12-06-2009, 11:55 PM

Day 1 buy for me. I enjoyed this much much more than Lock, Stock...... Can't wait to pump this track through my sound system!
Old 12-07-2009, 01:25 AM

loved this and lock stock
liked rocknrolla