'Stargate: Atlantis - Fans' Choice' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-12-2009, 04:25 PM

Default 'Stargate: Atlantis - Fans' Choice' - High-Def Digest Review

Tom has reviewed 'Stargate: Atlantis - Fans' Choice.' He says the concept and the choices sort of defeat the purpose of this release. The video and audio are decent, but there isn't a single extras. Caveat emptor!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2417...anschoice.html
Old 11-12-2009, 05:03 PM

Bloop-bleep-bloop. This is interesting, Ziggy says definitely don't use ketchup or mustard as suntan lotion in the Pegasus Galaxy, for if it puts the lotion on its skin it may never leap home again.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy
In a strange way, 'Stargate: Atlantis - Fans' Choice' kind of defeats its own purpose.
It's a Canadian show, what do you expect! What does Canada ever do that makes sense!
Old 11-12-2009, 09:24 PM

Ok so that review was crap.

Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis are both great shows and while some early SG-1 effects were not so great as the shows went on they got much better.

Also I think that if either show was as bad as you seem to think I donít think there would have been a 10 year run for SG-1 a 5 year run for Atlantis 2 SG-1 movies and another SG-1 and Atlantis movie on the way.

I love the technical parts of the reviews here but the content portions are often very poorly done.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schj98 View Post
Ok so that review was crap.

Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis are both great shows and while some early SG-1 effects were not so great as the shows went on they got much better.

Also I think that if either show was as bad as you seem to think I donít think there would have been a 10 year run for SG-1 a 5 year run for Atlantis 2 SG-1 movies and another SG-1 and Atlantis movie on the way.

I love the technical parts of the reviews here but the content portions are often very poorly done.
Whoa, whoa, calm down there. Your acting like I trashed the series, when all I said was that it wasn't for me and pointed out my observations. I even said the show has its fans and that the episodes are watchable. Perhaps if it was a season it might grow on me. Who knows?

So I think you're aiming at the wrong person, I'd be flinging "crap" at MGM. Like I said, a "fans choice" is a good concept in theory, but fans likely want entire seasons. So if they do release them eventually, then they're forcing those who have purchased this disc to double dip, which isn't cool. Especially since these are the very people who support the show.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:49 AM

I'll be the first to admit, I was never overly impressed with Atlantis. It had moments of excellence, but more often than not, was mediocre. Having said that, it was always at least fun.

I think the review was rather foolishly hard on things like the effects and sets though. This is a TV show, after all, not a big budget film! Not to mention, the sets and effects for Atlantis are outstanding for a TV show!! As for the comment about the early effects for the original show... does the reviewer realise just how long Stargate has been going?? At the time it began, for a TV show, the CGI effects were cutting edge in the wake of the likes of Babylon 5 that had set the standard for TV. Not to mention Stargate's effects were/are done by the same people who later did the new Galactica, which everyone clambers over each other to praise beyond reason, and I bet hardly any reviewer would dare criticise that...
Old 11-16-2009, 10:45 AM

I've been an Stargate fan since the first SG1 episode aired in Australia. Atlantis is great, but i can see why someone new to the show wouldn't enjoy it as much without watching a proper season to enjoy it and really take it in. I can see why the reviewer mightn't be able to get into it.

As for the "Fan's Choice" set, i find these things cheap and irritating and lazy, i wish they'd actually just get off their asses and put out season one on Blu-ray already, it has the potential to look decent (i think anyway).

Fingers crossed they put season one of Universe on Blu when it's finished airing.