'Wings of Desire' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-06-2009, 12:39 PM

Default 'Wings of Desire' - High-Def Digest Review

Josh has reviewed 'Wings of Desire.' This is a true masterpiece. This Criterion Blu-ray has exceptional video, audio, and extras. Highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2578/wingsofdesire.html
Old 11-06-2009, 12:42 PM

Great review, Josh.

I've really been meaning to check this out, as it sounds like a very unique and intriguing film.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:56 PM

Awesome!

I'm behind on my CC's.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:41 PM

Thumbs up "wings" takes wing!

This has to be one of, if not my most highly anticipated blu ray release. One of my all time favorite films, If a case can be made for Poetry as film or Film as poetry, this is certainly that film. I can hardly wait to get my copy and pop it in.
Nice review, Josh. I only hope that this new Criterion re-issue marks a whole new re-awakening to this modern masterpiece by Wim Wenders.
( by the way, I wholeheartedly agree with you about the truly awful american remake of "Wings". As bad a 're-imagining' of a film as has ever been produced. An embarrassment for all those who took part )
peace,
Marty S.
bbblu
Old 11-06-2009, 03:10 PM

Sounds great, I'll be checking this out too.

Btw., "Himmel" translates to both, "Sky" and "Heaven". That double meaning is difficult to convey in english...
Old 11-06-2009, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the review Josh, I am very interested in watching this on Blu-Ray and this is in my "to own" list.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:48 AM

The review mentions streakiness in some of the black and white shots. It's perhaps worth mentioning that in the helicopter shots, it's sometimes due to blur from the chopper blades themselves getting caught in the shot. But who cares? it can't take away from the beauty of this superb film.

One other thing - the pie fight shown in the extras was never seriously intended as the end of the movie. It was just a way of winding down at the end of shooting. Wim Wenders is being deliberately tongue in cheek in his commentary and drops a heavy hint that it was all a joke at the end of his commentary.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew markworthy View Post
The review mentions streakiness in some of the black and white shots. It's perhaps worth mentioning that in the helicopter shots, it's sometimes due to blur from the chopper blades themselves getting caught in the shot. But who cares? it can't take away from the beauty of this superb film.
Yes, I noticed the helicopter rotors, but that isn't what I was referring to.

In any case, I wholeheartedly agree that this is a minor issue.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:36 PM

Black and white is the intended look for most of the first 1.5 hours of the movie? The US and UK DVDs had it in sepia. Changes the tone quite a bit IMO.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erack View Post
Black and white is the intended look for most of the first 1.5 hours of the movie? The US and UK DVDs had it in sepia. Changes the tone quite a bit IMO.
The MGM DVD had a lot of color temperature problems. Sometimes the gray scale was greenish. Other times it was reddish and more like sepia. Criterion's transfer fixes that.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.