'My Life in Ruins' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-05-2009, 01:24 PM

Default 'My Life in Ruins' - High-Def Digest Review

David has reviewed 'My Life in Ruins.' This sounds like a pretty unoriginal little sitcom reject posing as a movie. This Blu-ray has good video, run-of-the-mill audio, and more extras than the movie calls for. This if for Nia Vardalos fans only.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2620/mylifeinruins.html
Old 11-05-2009, 01:39 PM

Nia Vardalos really needs to just call it quits and settle down her big fat greek life outside of the camera.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:53 AM

I'm not a big fan of Rom-Com's but I ended up enjoying this far more than I would have thought from these reviews. It's not great but pleasant. God knows, there are a lot more bad ones out there.
In case you're wondering, here's my gauge: Sex In The City (the movie) = Can officially be defined as a form of torture.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazr View Post
I'm not a big fan of Rom-Com's but I ended up enjoying this far more than I would have thought from these reviews. It's not great but pleasant. God knows, there are a lot more bad ones out there.
In case you're wondering, here's my gauge: Sex In The City (the movie) = Can officially be defined as a form of torture.
LOL at your Sex in the City comment.

On your comments about this film, mine are probably in line with yours. I stuck mine up in a review at Amazon. The quick summary, rent this one first.

While I enjoyed it (about as you did probably), I certainly wouldn't buy it at current pricing. If it dropped to < $10, I might give in to temptation, but then again I still doubt that I'd watch it again (and probably wouldn't get enough value out of it to justify the purchase price).
Old 11-09-2009, 09:11 AM

Talking

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who feels the film isn't as bad as one hears.
In addition, I think if you want to see some Greek scenery, that would be another plus for renting.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:42 PM

lol! The comments on Sex and the City are so accurate! Now if western countries forced their enemies to watch endless repeats of the series and film... there'd be no wars ever! Everyone would surrender! Sex and the City is the real life equivalent of the Disney Room in Adams Family Value lol!

Anyways.... Saw this a couple of weeks ago (Under the UK title of Driving Aphrodite) and I honestly thought it was a rather gentle and pleasant little film. Not a laugh a minute comedy, it was a feel-good smile-raising film, with a nice touch of romance. Not overly original, but not stupidly clichéd to the point of despair, either (Well, considering it's a romcom, anyway). Personally I think it was better than any number of other 'romcoms' of recent years. Just ordered a copy. Heck, sometimes you need the odd little film like this, between all the explosive action and special effects.

(And maybe it's just me, but Nia Vardalos looks rather delicious in this...:-# )