'The Thaw' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-28-2009, 12:53 PM

Default 'The Thaw' - High-Def Digest Review

Tom has reviewed the 'The Thaw.' Sadly, Kilmer's career remains frozen in a block of ice. This is pretty so-so. This Blu-ray has middling video and audio and not so good extras. This is a rental, or, you know, rent something else.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2579/thethaw.html
Old 10-28-2009, 07:48 PM

I picked this up a few weeks back, I went in thinking it would be a huge stinker, and it turned out to be surprisingly decent and moderately entertaining. I've definitely seen FAR, FAR WORSE BIG BUDGET (I use this term loosely when talking about horror films) horror flicks than The Thaw. For example, it definitely beats out stuff like this years "The Unborn." The political agenda, in The Thaw, didn't really bother me either....its just there; it doesn't really add or subtract anything from the movie.

IMO, anybody who is a fan of movies like "The Thing" should really give this a rent, and even consider a buy when it gets to the $10 or lower range.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltobeyou View Post
I picked this up a few weeks back, I went in thinking it would be a huge stinker, and it turned out to be surprisingly decent and moderately entertaining. I've definitely seen FAR, FAR WORSE BIG BUDGET (I use this term loosely when talking about horror films) horror flicks than The Thaw. For example, it definitely beats out stuff like this years "The Unborn." The political agenda, in The Thaw, didn't really bother me either....its just there; it doesn't really add or subtract anything from the movie.

IMO, anybody who is a fan of movies like "The Thing" should really give this a rent, and even consider a buy when it gets to the $10 or lower range.
It sounds exactly like The Thing though...should I just watch that again?
Old 10-28-2009, 10:22 PM

The last 2 val kilmer movies i saw were awful and he's been cranking them out almost as fast as steven segal so i'll pass.
I don't understand how he became 'c' list in the last few yrs.He was a great actor.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
It sounds exactly like The Thing though...should I just watch that again?
it may sound a lot like the thing, but the tone is dramatically different. the scope of the film, and the heavy handedness, are quite different as well.

I enjoyed the Thaw, don't get me wrong, but those 2 movies, two different paragraphs, as they don't belong anywhere near each other.

if you decide to ignore cinema as it is released in favor of older films, then why bother watching transformers 2, as it sounds exactly like transformers.

bad logic. the thaw has it's flaws, a few gaping maws, but all in all, it didn't make me pause, not once. it kept me interested. the bugs are neat, the teen/collegiate element is generic, sure, but the IDEAS of the film aren't too shabby. this may not be big budget, but it is good for a thinker, not about the film, but about the themes therein.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:34 PM

Totally off topic, but has to be mentioned. I just saw preview for a film starring Cuba Gooding Jr and Val Kilmer called "Hardwired."

It looks unwatchable. Kilmer is really bloated, wearing a disgusting suit, and is sporting a really bad emo-like haircut.

Then they show a cover of the case artwork and his hair is from when he was in Top Gun.

/hijacking
Old 10-28-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
it may sound a lot like the thing, but the tone is dramatically different. the scope of the film, and the heavy handedness, are quite different as well.

I enjoyed the Thaw, don't get me wrong, but those 2 movies, two different paragraphs, as they don't belong anywhere near each other.

if you decide to ignore cinema as it is released in favor of older films, then why bother watching transformers 2, as it sounds exactly like transformers.

bad logic. the thaw has it's flaws, a few gaping maws, but all in all, it didn't make me pause, not once. it kept me interested. the bugs are neat, the teen/collegiate element is generic, sure, but the IDEAS of the film aren't too shabby. this may not be big budget, but it is good for a thinker, not about the film, but about the themes therein.
I'd have to agree with your post. The tone of The Thaw and The Thing are wildly different. Its just the easiest comparison to make when trying to describe the hook of the film, when in fact there is much more going on in the film's plot and tone than simply saying "its like The Thing."

Also, like you, I did not hit pause or even check the time even one time during the movie. It kept me entertained from beginning to end, and thats all you can ask for from this type of movie.

Just a word of warning though, not sure if its in the review, if you are a big Val Kilmer fan; and you are buying this solely to see Val Kilmer you may be a bit disappointed. He does have a pivotal role.....but yeah....not saying anything else.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Former Member

also, the name of the movie, and the fact it involves unearthing an ancient/buried evil makes people draw comparisons way too early.

this film is interesting when figuring out what genre to call it. it's a creature/bug horror, mixed in with a suspense drama, mixed in with a political/environmental cautionary tale, mixed in with val kilmer (he's his own genre now). i guess you could call it a sus-bug-poli-kilmer, which coincidentally will be the name of my first born child.

of this wave of 4, thaw is the best, with children running a somewhat close second.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
also, the name of the movie, and the fact it involves unearthing an ancient/buried evil makes people draw comparisons way too early.

this film is interesting when figuring out what genre to call it. it's a creature/bug horror, mixed in with a suspense drama, mixed in with a political/environmental cautionary tale, mixed in with val kilmer (he's his own genre now). i guess you could call it a sus-bug-poli-kilmer, which coincidentally will be the name of my first born child.

of this wave of 4, thaw is the best, with children running a somewhat close second.
LOL, I like how you gave Val Kilmer his own genre. That is so true.

I think he needs to tone down on the teeth bleach. I can understand when he was making leading man films, but lately he's been playing grubby characters and it sticks out like a sore thumb. I noticed this in this movie, and in the trailer for Bad Lieutenant. Directors will need to start putting in a CGI glistening sparkle on other actors' choppers just to have a balance.

I actually preferred 'The Children.' That film isn't perfect either, but for what it is and the budget it had (judging from appearance it appears to be much less than 'The Thaw') it surprised me and is far from typical.